Making an rpg.

Started by
31 comments, last by darookie 17 years, 2 months ago
I'm only 13 years old. And i cant wait till high school. Plz, anyone who know were i can find a tutorial that will tell me how to make an rpg from the basics. I dunno what language i should use: C#,C,C++, OpenGl, DirectX. ive heard theese is the best. atm i want it to be singel player. if it become good maybe i will set it online. Here is some info about the game. I want it to be in 3D. a big map. I want theese classes : Druid, Warlock, Mage, Warrior, Assasin and Priest. I want theese races : Humans, Dwarves and Elves. and ofc all the classes will have spells. I want to make quests, Traders in the woods, banks, professions, etc. Thanks for reading //Feelay [Edited by - Feelay on January 27, 2007 9:32:08 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Feelay
Plz, anyone who know were i can find a tutorial that will tell me how to make an rpg from the basics and up.
if i become good maybe i will set it online.

And there we go again.....

Anyways, your best chance is to pick up a book on programming. C# is a good language to begin with. C++ is more difficult to learn. Try to become a wizard at programming first [smile]. Understand OOP concepts. Then try your hand at OpenGL/DirectX/XNA.

Complete this much first, then take it ahead from there...
++ My::Game ++
Original post by _neutrin0_
Quote:Original post by Feelay
if i become good maybe i will set it online.

Sorry i ment it, not i. I have changed that now.
Quote:Original post by _neutrin0_

Anyways, your best chance is to pick up a book on programming. Complete this

I am trying to find a book about game programming, but the problem is that it isnt easy to find a book in english about game programming, and the swedish books sux.
Game Programming for Teens

I haven't use the book myself, but I have heard its good. Maybe someone else who as actually used it can tell more about it.

Check out the For Beginners section on this site.

Don't aim for an RPG right away. RPGs, especially like the onces you are talking about are difficult to make even for a experienced team of developers. Try to make simple games and try getting your programming skills and basics right first. Keep smaller goals, like maybe making a tetris or a break-out clone for start. Then slowly progress to more complex stuff.
Don't get a game programming book, thats far too advanced now. Get a book for beggining your programming language of choice.
Maybe yoy're right. Maybe i shouldnt start with an rpg. But the problem is that i only play fantasy games, and i dont think u can make a tic tac toe or something like a fantasy game or? ;P
Even the simplest games can be made fun by a little bit of imagination.

Yes I agree with you, RPGs are very exiting to play. We all love them, but the ones you are talking about, the truly massive ones are built by teams of very experienced people.

By all means, keep an aim and dream of making a big RPG. Just don't make it your first aim. There is no harm in dreaming big [smile]. Work towards your goal in smaller steps.
Yes sir. :p.
I'll try to make non rpg games in c# or c++. atm im trying to find tutorials for that.
Why not make a fantasy game? I know I'll probably get in trouble with others for encouraging you to fast, but hear me out first...

When you get into high school (or even before then), get your hands on as many programming books and programming tutorials on the net that you possibly can. The first language that I learned was Visual Basic, and then C++, but most of the basic constructs in programming languages (selection, looping, etc.) are the same, so it's just a matter of learning a different syntax.

For my final computer science class in high school, the final project was a project of my own choosing that required me to demonstrate the various techniques learned throughout the class. Now, by itself, C++ in a console application setting (which is all we learned how to do in the class) will get you nowhere when it comes to creating a graphical RPG.

This is where independent learning comes in. I learned as much as I possibly could learn in the weeks leading up to the project... advanced C++ techniques, the Standard Template Library, SDL, OpenGL, etc. When it came time to create the game, it took me three weeks to complete (and that's only because my life changed to "go to school, come home, program, go to sleep, repeat"). Three weeks of intense work (at a beginner level) allowed me to create a simple RPG-style battle system (think the old turn-based battle systems of the SNES RPGs). Looking back on it now, it was slow, buggy, and occasionally crashed, but it was good enough to get me a 100% on my project!

I wasn't without my share of pitfalls though. Initially, I was like you - I wanted 3D animation, cool particle effects, and a whole bunch of other things that I wanted to replicate from my favorite games. This never happened. I realized that, as a beginner (and with a tight timeframe), I needed to start with the basics and work my way up. Start with 2D, get something up on the screen, but whatever you do, don't quit! All of the stuff you learn on the way can be used to create that big project some day!

So, to recap...
-> choose a programming language (as others have suggested, C++ or C# are viable choices)
-> learn the basic constructs of the language - googling "<name of programming language> tutorials" or reading the GameDev.net "For Beginners" section should give you something to start with
-> learn some of the more advanced techniques of your language, and start to learn an API (SDL, OpenGL, DirectX, etc.)
-> using the knowledge of your programming language and APIs, get something on the screen (even if it's a simple triangle)
-> keep learning - there are plenty of resources on the net to help you out

Quote:if it become good maybe i will set it online

The question is not whether or not your game will be good enough, but whether YOU will be good enough. Try not to rush into things. Keep it simple and single-player [grin].

I wish you luck, and I hope you have as much fun learning how to program as I did.
Thx för that :). so you mean that i still can make a 2d rpg game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement