Making an rpg.

Started by
31 comments, last by darookie 17 years, 2 months ago
You don't necessarily need to use C/C++/C# in order to program games because they're the 'best'. There really isn't a best language, as pretty much any language can be used to write a game. In fact, if you are just beginning to program, they may be some of the worst (well, C# isn't bad) as they have a very steep learning curve.

Instead, you may want to try starting with a much higher level language such as a scripting language (ie. Python, Ruby). These languages certainly have enough power to create a decent version of the game you are thinking about, are considerably easier to learn, and you will likely have something up in running in a fraction of the time. With many you can also you graphic APIs such as SDL and OpenGL. They also usually use C-ish syntax, so learning those languages later will be easier than just jumping it.

You should probably also consider starting with a text-based RPG, instead of a 3D one. Not only will the programming be magnitudes easier, you won't really have to worry about things like collision detection, physics, AI, and several other things, in addition to all the artwork you'll need to put together for a 3D game. Believe me, you'll have plenty to do with a single-player text based RPG.
Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners.
Quote:Thx for that :). so you mean that i still can make a 2d rpg game.

Remember what I said about rushing into things. Take it slow. Split everything up into components (program an input handling system, program an inventory management system, program a battle system, program an animation controller for sprites, etc.), and, once you think you are ready, put it all together. Basically, just make a lot of test programs that test different parts of the game who want to build, and if you design them well enough, everything should be able to seamlessly fit together later.

If you're dead set on RPGs, the book Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX by Jim Adams is a good read. The book splits everything up into components as I have described above. However, this book assumes that you have a beginner- to intermediate-level knowledge of C++, so don't pick this one up until you've covered the basics of C++. You don't need to pick this one up in order to make an RPG - it's just one of many resources that you could possibly look at.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: One thing I should add... Before you even start to program the specifics of your game (you mentioned races, classes, and magic spells in your initial post), you need to sit down and design every single aspect of it (putting all of your design ideas in a "design document" - all big games use them).

Be specific in your design, as it will give you a clear focus of what to want and it will be easier to program later (I say "easier" not as in the difficulty of the programming required, but "easier" as in not having to program it multiple times because of some incompatibility in your code or some other design issue). For example, what make a human different from an elf (other than their appearance)? How does a Priest differ from a Druid? What magic spells can each class use? How many different magic spells will there be? What functions do I want my bank to have (money only, or do I want the player to be able to deposit items as well)? Answering all of these questions clearly and concisely will help you to build your game.

Hope this helps.
The problem is that in sweden, theese books dont exsist. and my parents dont like to buy things online.
don't u know any website that write theese tutorials.

---------------------------------------------
Edit:

Quote:
EDIT: One thing I should add... Before you even start to program the specifics of your game (you mentioned races, classes, and magic spells in your initial post), you need to sit down and design every single aspect of it (putting all of your design ideas in a "design document" - all big games use them).

Be specific in your design, as it will give you a clear focus of what to want and it will be easier to program later (I say "easier" not as in the difficulty of the programming required, but "easier" as in not having to program it multiple times because of some incompatibility in your code or some other design issue). For example, what make a human different from an elf (other than their appearance)? How does a Priest differ from a Druid? What magic spells can each class use? How many different magic spells will there be? What functions do I want my bank to have (money only, or do I want the player to be able to deposit items as well)? Answering all of these questions clearly and concisely will help you to build your game.

Hope this helps.

Thx for that, but ive alerdy thinked about that, i have been planning a game in almost 2 years now.

[Edited by - Feelay on January 27, 2007 11:37:17 AM]
Quote:Original post by Feelay
The problem is that in sweden, theese books dont exsist, and my parents dont like to buy things online.
don't u know any website that write theese tutorials.

Try "Akademibokhandeln" they should have stores near your local university.
(If your local university has a CS program the bookstore will have tons of programming books in store)

in Göteborg you can find them at

1) Kungsgatan 61

2) Nordstan, Norra Hamngatan 26

3) Vasagatan 26-30
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Damn, that doesn't help matters much does it? I guess the only thing I can recommend then is to keep searching the net and keep coming back to the forums [wink]. GameDev.net has a LOT of resources as well - just browse the Articles and Resources section to see what I mean.

Like I said, you don't NEED that book to program an RPG. There are plenty of other resources out there. If you are still looking for C++ tutorials (if that is the language you picked), try CPlusPlus.com to start with. And remember...

[google]
Google is your friend!
I was there this wednesday. i didnt find any of the books theese guys is talking about. i only found books in swedish, and they sux.
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Try "Akademibokhandeln" they should have stores near your local university.
(If your local university has a CS program the bookstore will have tons of programming books in store)

in Göteborg you can find them at

1) Kungsgatan 61

2) Nordstan, Norra Hamngatan 26

3) Vasagatan 26-30

I've been there and checked that books, the only bookstore I've found game programming books in.
You could always try your local library. I'm sure they could get some of the books mentioned here if you ask them nicely. :)
But in my opinion, it's easier to learn how to program on the net since programming books (especially Swedish ones) usually are a few years old and the examples need some modifications to work with new/free compilers. But that's just me. :)

To find tutorials etc. here are some Swedish online communities:
cplusplus.nu
gamedev.se
pellesoft.se

EDIT: Added another link...
Feelay, if you have not done any programing then you have a long way to go before you will start producing even 2d games, much less 3d games. Game programing is much like any other advanced skill, you need to learn a lot before you can even get started. It would be much like saying I want to do heart transplants, can someone show me a tutorial so I can get started.

The first thing you need to do is learn the basics of programing, and the basics have a lot to it. C# is not a bad choice, quiet a bit of power, free IDE and helps keep you out of some touble that C++ would give you.

Basic programming is the following (this is not an all inculusive list, I have no doubt I will leave some stuff out). How to complie and debug a program, condition statements (if, if else, switch), loops (do, do-while, for, for-each), assigments, object orrinated programming (OOP), input and output. Now each of those catagories can take a bit to really learn, OOP and input/output can take a real long time.

You need to know that before you can even start doing a game. So learn the basics and then on to the more fun stuff.

theTroll

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement