• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MegaBoomer

OpenGL Should I use OpenGL Matrix Stack or my own Implementation?

This topic is 4218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wondering if I should implemant my own matrix stack using my own optimized matrix using SIMD instructions or i should just use the default matrix stack implemented in opengl. Im an only interested in speed not portability or any other factors.

Advertisement
With a recent driver, you can be quite sure that the driver vendor will provide highly optimized matrix functions.
The only useful application for an own matrix stack exists when you don't need the accuracy specified by OpenGL. This is often done in OpenGL ES development, because you can floating point with fixed point arithmetics on embedded systems without an FPU.
On Desktop OpenGL, you usually need the provided accuracy, so the driver implementation will propably one fastest and certainly the easiest way.

Quote:
Original post by Yonibear
The only useful application for an own matrix stack exists when you don't need the accuracy specified by OpenGL.
A small addendum: managing your own matrix stack can be useful if, for some reason, you may need access to the current view or model matrix at any given time. OpenGL rolls these into one, so without prior knowledge of either it's impossible to extract this information (not to mention that it involves state queries, which are best avoided).

As suggested above though, if you're just concerned about speed, there's probably no point in implementing your own matrix stack.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!