• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
some_n00b

Check out my library

This topic is 4218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody! It became popular, doing various little extensions and utilities for SDL. So, I have done very simple opengl-like software 3D drawing routines for SDL, while playing with my processors MMX and SSE functions. Lights, texturing, and culling are currently supported. If you wonder, who may need software rendering these day. Well, then just imagine that you can draw some more triangles, on free processor's time, or, if scene isn't to complex, do everiting in software, boosting compatibility. And, of course, drawing in software helps better understand hardware. here is sources with two examples (both taken from NeHe OpenGL lessons, cuz I like them): sdld3d.tar.bz2 Note: sources most likely won't compile with anything other than GCC. I would like to hear, what you think about this small library. description of your image description of your image

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Nice, small and fast (about 3x faster than Mesa3d software OpenGL, tested with lesson07 from NeHe).

But I don't buy your reasoning for the use. Not fast enough for games, practically every computer today which is fast enough to run in software mode have some sort of 3d gfx card. Unless you're doing off-screen rendering, I don't see any use for software rendering, but because the quality is worse than with Mesa3d so I'd rather use that for off-screen if I needed to.. And how exactly are you going to combine your 3d librarys z-buffering/lightning/alpha blending/etc with OpenGL/Direct3d ? (Reading the source crate.c didn't help me understand hardware better btw ;)

Great work, even if I can't see any use for it :)

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
And how exactly are you going to combine your 3d librarys z-buffering/lightning/alpha blending/etc with OpenGL/Direct3d ?

This depends on graphics engine you use, for example you can draw 3d menu elements like cursor or mini-map. Still, these source would be more useful with shader support. Quality can be much better by using bilinear interpolation, thing that I haven't converted to MMX, for now. Of course shaders and interpolation will drop fps a little.

As for usefulnes, this code can be used for porting to SDL some old game, that makes use of 3D graphics, and I will probably embed this code in my Linux's bootloading sequence - like rootating 3d text in console ;)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by some_n00b
I will probably embed this code in my Linux's bootloading sequence - like rootating 3d text in console ;)

Hey, that (3d effects while booting) is a good idea! Alternative, with 3d effects, for RHGB would be cool.
So I was wrong, there are uses for it :)

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Hey, that (3d effects while booting) is a good idea! Alternative, with 3d effects, for RHGB would be cool.
So I was wrong, there are uses for it :)

Thanks :) though this isn't exactly my idea, I'm just jealous about these video game console, that show cool 3d stuff at startup. And if there exist bootloading C compiler, that loads kernel sources and compiles them in a few seconds in realtime, then why the hell I can't play Quake while my system boots to x-server? The most important point of doing such thing would be to test overall system smoothness and resource allocation balance. One thing for what I like Linux, is because it goes very smooth even under heavy load, so I'm interested how far this extends :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!