• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NIm

Detail level of external files

This topic is 4134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was considering a scripting language like Lua for scripting of spacecraft modules, missions, worlds, etc. I more recently looked at xml, which seems to be just the thing for describing the nature of units. It seems to me, however, that a scripting language might be better for scenario data. What are everyone's thoughts on this? What are the comparative advantages or disadvantages or each?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
XML is just a data storage/retrieval/formatting system. It is not capable of the logic/procedural/computational functions that likely you would need (that has to be added by you somewhere else). XML can be called by LUA as a tool.

it all depends how complex your configuration tasks are to be.

Example - if a mission has random components to select from to vary thm each time they are played (or a skill ramp to increase difficulty .... or event to set a different mix based on a dificulty slider).

Similarly, if spaceships have randomized attributes -- like a bell curve for quality or wear factors for some component you buy/are initially given. It might be useful if a configurable value is actually an equation. XML might store an equation as a string, but it cant execute it on a call from your game engine (a script language can...).

If you have all static data that is all loaded in a regular way then XML would work (though I myself consider it as ugly and overkill for loading most tabular data). If you have mostly name-value pairs XML would work.
To use LUA you have to embed it in your engine and that can be alot of work,
so for static data it would be overkill.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!