• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chadsxe

So I got asked a very general question...

This topic is 4137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Long story short I was in a converstation with software producer who works on application software. He asked me "What kind of documents flow through a game producers hands?" I simpley said every single document that is involved with the development of a game. i.e. High concept, pith, concept design, art production, test, project, risk etc.... Was I wrong in saying this?

Advertisement
Maybe.

Not every studio uses the same paper trail; some use less, some more. It varies widely, there's no standard practice.

Quote:
Original post by chadsxe
Long story short I was in a converstation with software producer who works on application software. He asked me "What kind of documents flow through a game producers hands?" I simpley said every single document that is involved with the development of a game. i.e. High concept, pith, concept design, art production, test, project, risk etc.... Was I wrong in saying this?

You left out the budget and the schedule. And what's a "pith" document? For more about producing, see FAQ 42.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I assume he meant pitch

Quote:
Original post by tsloper
And what's a "pith" document?

Since pith is the spongy stuff inside a tree, I assume it must be written on custom made paper.

Seriously though, if this wasn't an interview nor was the OP a game producer, it was probably just an open ended question to make him think a bit.

The simplistic reply of "every single document that is involved with the development of a game" made my eyes roll.

Imagine the same question of different professions. Perhaps if a surgeon, movie star, or a major tech company's CEO also asked, "Do you know what kind of documents flow through through my hands at work?" Each of those provide some good thought exercises.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!