• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
willie04

Game Dev beginner

This topic is 4282 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been reading up on game dev and the part that is missing for me is when do you decide which platform? X box, PC or others. Is cross platform play a possibility? same game Xbox verse PC thank you for your time willie

Advertisement
If you're just starting out, I wouldn't worry too much about which platforms you'd like to aim for, because at this point, the experience is what matters most. Getting something working is a big step, one which will give you a stronger insight into what you'd like to accomplish and on what platforms you'd like to try your hand at. [smile]

Incidentally, because you've mentioned the XBox and the PC, it seems appropriate to mention the XNA Framework which has been released by Microsoft and can be used to develop games for both the XBox and the PC.

Firstly, welcome to GDNet, good to see another user from not too far away. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by willie04
I have been reading up on game dev and the part that is missing for me is when do you decide which platform?
Personally I'd suggest that you probably don't want to decide which platform to target until you're able to make (at least simple) games. Start with whatever you have that's easily accessible; which for the majority of beginners usually means a Windows PC. There's a wealth of tools and information available for developing for Windows, and plenty of examples out there, plus you probably already have it. Once you've learnt the basics on Windows you'd then be in a better position to think about developing for other platforms instead/as well.

Quote:
Is cross platform play a possibility? same game Xbox verse PC
It is indeed possible to do cross-platform development, although this more commonly refers to developing for various PC operating systems. Depending on the language and tools you choose to use you might be able to simply run the same program on 2 or more target systems, you might need to recompile (you'll undoubtedly learn about that if you havn't already) but not need to change any code, or in some cases you might need to change some things to get your programs working on different platforms. Developing good cross-platform code that doesn't require too much (or any if you're good and the appropriate tools are available) work to port to another platform has some added challenges, but if you keep it in mind from the beginning of a project and do things correctly it's often not too big an issue.

Since you specifically mentioned PC and XBox, you might be interested in C# and the XNA Framework.

Hi Kazgoroth,
Thank you for the info, deeply appreciated.
I am here so that I'm not fish out of water, when talking to game developers and game publishers. So in that context, you could say more Project Management. Are you linked with Swinburne Game or RMIT multimedia in any way??

Be well
willie

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!