• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grill8

questions about lighting/shadowing procedures

This topic is 4219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I tried the Game Programming forum with no success when trying to get feedback on the following questions but was told not to post there anymore. Maybe some of you guys here in the Graphics forum can help. Anyways... I have some questions about lighting/shadowing procedures in game engine design. Ok, so I have been developing my engine (3D FPS) for awhile now and am now needing to develop the lighting/shadowing procedures. I have asked some questions before but before I get started I want to make sure I have everything squared away design-wise so that I don't develop stuff that doesn't need developing or am just not doing it correctly. Ok, so it is my understanding that the following procedures are correct. If anyone has any tips/suggestions or corrections to the following procedures, please let me know. Thank you. Ok, so it is my understanding that the steps are: 1) At development time, light (and shadow) static geometry and terrain with a level editor such as 3D World Studio. This generates light maps for the static objects/terrain. 2) At load time, generate a depth map using a shader and static objects/terrain as occluders via shadow mapping from the point of view of the light source. 3) At runtime render your dynamic objects as occluders to a second depth map using a shader via shadow mapping from the point of view of the light source. 4) At runtime, in the rendering (receiver) shader for static objects, do a depth test vs. the dynamic object depth map. If the pixel is occluded, darken it (shadow it). 5) At runtime, in the dynamic object rendering (receiver) shader, do a depth test vs. both the static and dynamic depth maps. If the pixel is occluded, darken it (shadow it). If I am correct objects/terrain only needs to be rendering once with the exception of dynamic objects who need to render twice for the dynamic object depth map. Not too much of a drawback for the benefits. Of course object culling such as Octrees/BHV trees etc are needed to reduce rendering but that is another topic. I am just trying to grasp ahold of the proper procedures for lighting/shadowing. I asked some questions earlier about this but just want to double check and get verification that this is the proper procedure for lighting/shadowing before I get started. Any and all help is of course welcome. Thank you, Jeremy (grill8) [Edited by - LessBread on January 27, 2007 9:58:09 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!