• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
u235

[web] Edit in place

This topic is 4335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I did little searching, but couldn't find anything on this, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a web editing app that can edit your web site in place. For example, let's say I made my web site in Frontpage, Dreamwaver, Visual Web Developer, what have you. I then upload it to my web server. Is there an app that I can use to maybe connect to my web server, log on, and edit the files in place, instead of editing the ones I have on my machine and then re-uploading them? If it turns out there's nothing like this, would any of you be interested in seeing something like this? Thanks for reading. -AJ

Advertisement
I don't know of any software to recommend to you -- although I'm sure there would be something like that out there -- but in answer to your question of whether I'd be interested in such a piece of software... why would I want to mess around with the live website and possibly subject people to broken layouts, missing information and incomplete adjustments when I can test my changes on an 'offline' version first?

Note that in my case 'offline' is often still served by a local apache server so that I can test any dynamic content that's included as well, it's just not accessible to others unless I decide to open up the test server to someone, and it's certainly not the live version of a site that's been released 'into the wild' so to speak. I'm just not personally seeing real benefits.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
I don't know of any software to recommend to you -- although I'm sure there would be something like that out there -- but in answer to your question of whether I'd be interested in such a piece of software... why would I want to mess around with the live website and possibly subject people to broken layouts, missing information and incomplete adjustments when I can test my changes on an 'offline' version first?

Note that in my case 'offline' is often still served by a local apache server so that I can test any dynamic content that's included as well, it's just not accessible to others unless I decide to open up the test server to someone, and it's certainly not the live version of a site that's been released 'into the wild' so to speak. I'm just not personally seeing real benefits.

Point well taken. I didn't really think it through, it was just a thought. Perhaps something, then that would make a temporary copy to edit and then automate the process of re-uploading, that way it is as if you were editing it in place rather than actually editing in place. Still not as efficient as what you do, but could be useful for those who don't have that capability.

-AJ

I am using Zend Development Environment to do my PHP coding. BEcause The *local* copy I'm working on is actually on another box somewhere in the office, I can open a connection to a computer via FTP and work on this copy. The files are all organised in the folder's view as if it was on my local machine.

I am sure that most IDE's (though they are few and far between for web development) would offer the same functionality

Peter Serwylo
Internet Vision Technologies
www.ivt.com.au

Some simple text editors like EditPlus allow you to open files via FTP, and will upload the new version when you save it. Obviously it's only useful if you're comfortable with HTML.

Well I was thinking of something more along the lines of a WYSIWYG editor. Thanks for the replies though, gave me some insight into things I didn't really think about at first.

-AJ

Cool, thanks for showing me that. Checked it out and it seems pretty nice. I will have to try it out sometime.

-AJ

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!