• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
greencrayon

A serious hurdle

This topic is 4307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A serious hurdle There is a quality that all computer programmers seem have. a quality that I sadly lack. I can’t help but think my growth as a games developer will always be stunted because I lack this one magical quality. I wrote-up my new-years resolution to become a games developer I knew this special quality would elude me, but I thought it a mere eccentricity of game devs, a superstition maybe, but nothing important. But as I learned more about games developers I discovered just how wrong I was. This quality seems integral to the very existence of computer programmers. It represents something that has moulded their world, something that seems to have made every one of them the genius they are today. Something that will always elude me. You see. My problem is this… I don’t like coffee. I know. How could I not like something that is the very bedrock on which my favourite hobby was built. Coffee is worshipped so highly by games developers that they have named coding languages after it: java, C++ (Coffee, , More, MORE!). And yet, I just don’t like the stuff. I am beyond help really but I just wanted to make my voice heard and to draw attention to my plight. Mine is a little-known and misunderstood disability. I thank you for reading. Please think of me the next time you are coding into the wee-hours, finishing off another work of gaming history while I am sleeping – my code lying idle.

Advertisement
Look at the bright side of this: caffeine is addictive. Because of this, it takes the average coffee drinker at least one full cup (more for large-scale drinkers) to get a mental state that is close (in performance) to your normal one.

I never drink any coffee, and only get some significant amounts of caffeine in my blood stream if I have to stay awake for more than 16 hours on a row. At which point I'll probably drink caffeinated soft drinks, such as Burn (because they have a higher caffeine concentration yet do not taste as bad as coffee), or tea.

Also, this thread might deserve being moved to the lounge.

You don't have to like coffee specifically. It could be any caffeinated beverage, perhaps a Red Bull or even regular cola will do.

I hate coffee as well. And up until recently I haven't really been drinking anything caffeinated (I usually drink lots of chocolate milk, milk, and water.) The way I see it, you can either deal without it or acquire the taste for it.

You have got something completely wrong. The whole software industry, at least the programming side, is built upon a love for caffeine, not coffee itself. At some point developers figured that some liked coffee and others liked soft drinks. Of course they couldn't work together, and split into two groups. The serious adults who drank coffee like all other adults; they did the serious work. While the people who didn't like to be viewed as adults and instead drank children's drinks, soft drinks, chose to do entertainment and founded the game development industry. Java and C++ are serious languages, aimed at coffee-drinkers. Java force you to use OO, because that is what serious developers do, they don't code procedurally or functionally. C++ is, according to its creator, a general-purpose language with a bias towards system programming.

And as you might guess, I don't like coffee either.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!