• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

When do I update graphics?

This topic is 4044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello... I'm writing an app where I use direct3d to draw in the client area of the main form. I'm using the win32 api and I don't have a rendering loop becouse I have to render only on click messages. The problem is that i don't know on wich messages I have to redraw the screen, for example on the resizing of the form or when another window goes over client area. When that happens I get the black background color that I've set in the class of the main form. Can someone explain the methods to avoid that? Thx!

Advertisement
Actually doing drawing inside WM_PAINT ought to be enough. You might want to override WM_ERASEBKGND by doing nothing and returning TRUE.

So in most cases (resizing) the update will happen automatically. On mouseclick you simply issue an InvalidateRect call and let WM_PAINT do the rest.

Thanks for the answer...

I've added that in the message procedure of the main form:

case WM_PAINT:
cGraphic::Render();
break;

It works fine, but if i try to show a modal dialog from the main form the cpu starts to work at 100%, the dialog doesn't open and the main form don't process messages...am i doing something wrong?

for now cGraphics::Render() only clears the backbuffer and presents it

Right now the client are stays "dirty" and Windows keeps sending WM_PAINT messages.

Since you override the WM_PAINT call you have to validate the dirty area. You can let Windows do the work for you:

Use BeginPaint, call your render function, call EndPaint and return 0 to stop further processing:

case WM_PAINT:
{
cGraphic::Render();

PAINTSTRUCT ps;
BeginPaint( hwnd, &ps )
EndPaint( hwnd, &ps );

return 0;
}

BTW: You do not have to call cGraphic::Render inside the BeginPaint/EndPaint block, just somewhere during WM_PAINT.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement