can somebody tell me some free audio library?

Started by
10 comments, last by kevinlynx 17 years, 2 months ago
i know bass and fmod is perfect for playing some audio files . But as you know, they are not free if i make a commecial game to sell ! So i need a free audio library ! Can you tell me some ? Thanks !
Advertisement
OpenAL? DirectSound? It might help if you told us what language and platform(s) you're using.
Here is a link to OpenAL.
You may enjoy This Nice List
I can recommend SDL_Mixer It is really great and very easy to use library. It Plays .wav as sounds and .ogg as music. You just load a sound and start playing it.

However if you are planning to use 3d sound you can try the OpenAL mentioned here, it is a little harder to get a grip at, especially you have to figure what is sources , buffers .

If you are planning to use ogg/vorbis with it, then it would be much more harder to get the streaming right. The other thing is that the audio requires that OpenAL drivers needs to be installed, so you should provide the installer with your application (setup).

If you need simple 1d sounds and a music, go for the mixer, if you need 3d sounds with ogg prepare for a challenge with OpenAL :)
Quote:Original post by DMINATOR
The other thing is that the audio requires that OpenAL drivers needs to be installed

What are these "OpenAL drivers"?
IrrKlang might work for you, though it's still early in development and I'm sure the API will change.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by DMINATOR
The other thing is that the audio requires that OpenAL drivers needs to be installed

What are these "OpenAL drivers"?

There is an oalinst.exe available from creative website. It installs openal required files and allows to actually use it on client machines (for me this is one major disadvantage). I actually have come with only one machine that had these drivers already pre-installed. So far there were 5-6 machines where I had to install them , including mine.

However most of the creative sound cards ship with the openal drivers as far as I know, and it can be fairly easily to install them silently with the setup with silent key option ,the problem is when you don't want to use the Setup to distribute the file.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
IrrKlang might work for you, though it's still early in development and I'm sure the API will change.

it's cool , but the supported file format is lack . only support mp3, wav and ogg...maybe later there will be more file format to be supported.
Those are the most common formats people use. Is there a specific format you require?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement