• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n00body

model format for static geometry

This topic is 4278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

From my investigations, it seems to me that it's a good idea to have two specialized model formats for 3D assets. For the case of my dynamic entities, I've settled on MD5. However, I still need to find a suitable format for the static geometry of the world itself. Can anyone propose some good options based on the following criteria: * Not legally ambiguous for commercial use * integrates well with OpenGL * decent set of features * has had enough time in the field to prove its reliability (nothing experimental) * modder friendly If you answer, could you try to justify your suggestion with how you've used it in your own projects. Thanks in advance. ;) [Edited by - n00body on January 29, 2007 7:57:36 PM]

Advertisement
For my game, i'm using my own custom format...the .cheese format

It's good practice and you can design it to suit your needs. Plus there's no legal mumbo jumbo

I think Doom 3 uses good ol' OBJ format for static stuff. This is generally considered to be more of a format for 3D modelling apps instead of games, but this can be in your favor -- it's widely supported and makes it very easy for the artists to get their model into and out of the game.

For static geometry, I sugest you to use a custom model format. For static models is really easy, you just need to store the vertices of the model, and then the faces that use these vertices.

I use a custom format. It's essentially a vertex buffer and an index buffer with some header info. The header contains the basic file data and details about each submesh, which is the start and end in the index buffer, and material data.

Having checked, Doom 3 actually uses both .ase & .lwo. Can anyone give me a good comparison of the two? Not just to each other, but also to .obj? Also, I've added to my criteria, modder-friendly.

.ase is a text based format that is supported by most applications. Including but not limited to MAX and Maya. It supported most of the model data you would need - faces, vertex data, smoothing groups and so on. Its text so parsing it can become tedious.

.lwo is Newtek Lightwaves format. Its a binary format based on EA's standard for Interchange File Format. Its a big endian format if I remember correctly. This format is quite propular in the indy scene due to the price point of lightwave and its origins in the Amiga. I dont know a lot about the internal fomat pass this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!