Stories

Started by
5 comments, last by OOICANFLY 17 years, 2 months ago
How many people have a game story or design that are developing/ed in the hope that it gets picked up by a company? MMO's? RPGs? FPSs? RTSs?
3D Artist and Game DesignerOrandy Game Studioswww.orandysoftware.com------------------------------OOOO A MONKEY!!!! I LOVE MONKEYS!!! DONT YOU?
Advertisement
If you are talking about how many people have an idea that is something like "world of warcraft with bigger swords" then it is probably alot. If you are talking about how many people that have an input idea (which is tested and works) on how to easily control thousands of units in a RTS and on top of that are about to go and talk to a few of the companies. Then, I guess, it's probably very few.
I would classify myself in between the two groups/extremes slowly moving towards the second one(though a less revolutionary FPS "input structure").
Quote:Original post by OOICANFLY
How many people have a game story or design that are developing/ed in the hope that it gets picked up by a company? MMO's? RPGs? FPSs? RTSs?

It depends what sort of company you are refering to - game development companies or publishers?

I dare say there are a few people here trying to make a design to sell to a developer, but the truth is that development houses rarely if at all accept designs from people unattached to the company. I think the only exceptions could be if you already had a great track record as a designer or you are established in another useful field (example: famous author).

If you are aiming to get a publisher to fund you to make your game, you'd also need to prove to them that you'd be a good investment. In that case they'd be more interested that you've got a solid business plan then your design; they'd want to make sure you can operate as a development house and can deliver.

Back to your question: I can only speak for myself here. I've got a number of game concepts and designs I'm working on, but I'm aiming to develop most of these myself or possibly with a self-sufficient team. The highest aim I have is to go professionally indie and publish the games myself on the internet. Most of the ideas are hard to fit into genres, but many are more casual game ideas such as puzzle games. There are a few with RPG and RTS elements, but I like working in 2D so no FPS. MMOs are right out.

Yeah? I have a feeling that there's so much constructive criticism going on that there are hardly any "world of warcraft with bigger swords" game designs..

Trapper so your saying that if I pay a lawyer to make me a nice looking business model/plan I will be picked up as a developer? COOL!

Thanks for your posts guys.
3D Artist and Game DesignerOrandy Game Studioswww.orandysoftware.com------------------------------OOOO A MONKEY!!!! I LOVE MONKEYS!!! DONT YOU?
Sorry for double post but I think parts of the above ^ post sounded rude.
Quote:Original post by OOICANFLY
Trapper so your saying that if I pay a lawyer to make me a nice looking business model/plan I will be picked up as a developer? COOL!

No, he's saying that if your business plan looks feasible, there's a chance you might be picked up. Note that if you have no development pedigree, your plan won't look feasible. You will at the least have to provide a playable demo to show you are capable of coming up with the goods.

Thanks! Are there any websites where I can get hold of some game design documents?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement