• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bsdpowa

[web] Best CMS for news portal?

This topic is 4311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a good CMS for news website/portal and I don't know which to use. PHPCow.com newsphp.com vivvo.net I'm thinking one of those three. I need a lot of options like ads placement, good article management, box placement, templates... Do you recommend anything?

Advertisement
Yes, I thought of Joomla. It's the cheapest way to the news portal but I would have to work on it a lot to make it the way I want it. Do you recommend the 1.5 BETA version or should I stay with the 1.0.11? Also, do you know of any way to install Joomla remotely on my server because I get errors when uploading files to my FTP.

Unless there's a specific feature in 1.5 beta that you really need, go with the stable release. This is true for any piece of software that comes with a choice of beta or stable.

If you need help setting up you're probably better off asking in the Joomla forums. But, simply FTP'ing a bunch of files should work regardless of what you're trying to upload.

If you're server is with a hosting company, check if you can install Joomla, Mambo or Drupal from the admin panel. Many admin panels come with a selection of software you can install.

Yes I can install Joomla from my CP but it comes with absolutely no content whatsoever (menus, links, texts...) so it's hard to build anything on that. Anyway, thanks for your time!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!