• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Blobba - My First Design Document

This topic is 4132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have had a number of years experience in numerous programming languages, and for a long time I have wanted to make a game, but have never got round to starting one due to not knowing where to start. I decided it might be a good idea for me to create a design document for a new game, and check out on the Internet whether people think it would be a good idea and see if I can form a team to make the game. I have just started the initial design document, and would like it if you could help me make a few revisions and changes to my current design ideas. Here it is (PDF, 57.11KB): http://www.filefactory.com/file/66c9ce/ Thanks a lot. I look forward to hearing from you. -sixfoottallrabbit

Advertisement
The idea sounds fun. The design document left me with some questions:

- Is the player always in control of the same lead blob, or can he change control to any blob at will? What happens when the player's blob dies? What happens when all the blobs die?

- What are the controls like? How does the player tell his blob to move, and in what way can the blob move? What movement is common to all blobs and what is specific to certain ones?

- How do the special powers work? Aside from the stacking, the special powers aren't really described. As core as these are to the gameplay, they probably should be described in detail.

- How do the puzzles work? Can you give me an example one? This is also very core to the gameplay and is kind of breezed over in the document.

- What will the bosses be like?

The main problem is that the design document seems to be mainly a description of what parts of other games you're combining to make yours. It cheapens it, and this game design deserves more... A game like this would benefit a lot if you focused more on what an actual player would be doing as they played the game, instead of the eye in the sky approach.

The document says there is supposed to be art included, but I didn't see any? Still to come? Your idea is very visual and you would benefit a LOT from concept art and game screen mockups. I'd love to see what the blobs look like, or what using a blob power will do to the screen.

I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

The questions that you have asked will be covered in much more detail later on in the design document. I should have labeled my headers a bit better. It wasn't meant to be a completely detailed design section, it was meant to be a detailed overview. Later on, I will be going into the specifics.

And yes, concept art is still to come. I'm checking out some art from a number of people and seeing what they can provide me.

Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!