• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Designing distributed systems

This topic is 4045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! I am working on the architecture/design of a distributed system and I am not 100% sure of how to attack some of my problems. So I figured out I wanted to make a post to this great community to hopefully get some nice input :) And gosh, this will be a long post so I really hope someone has patient to read it =/ Basically, the system I am working on is a system for providing highly interactive and some non-interactive services for mobile phone users, in addition to provide billing services for external systems (like external streaming servers etc). I have already implemented the system today and it has been running for soon 2 years, with a few quirks here and there but in overall it is quite stable. However, today, the system is implemented as one application with the exception of inbound MMS receivers/connectors which are implemented as servlets, running under Tomcat. The current system is event based, i.e. when an inbound SMS is received on one of the inbound SMS connectors, the message is first converted to an internal message format and then an InboundSMSEvent is posted to the system and whatever module that is interested in inbound SMS pick the event up. Basically, this is the service subsystem that does and it is the service manager that listens for inbound SMS events and dispatches the message further to correct service based on keywords written in the text message (SMS) etc. The connector subsystem (or tier if you want to) is responsible for communicating with all external systems. The definition of a connector is basically a component or module that handles the inbound or outbound communication with the different operators, whether it is messages like SMS, MMS or system specific message formats etc. The protocols or message services supported are SMPP, JMS, HTTP/HTTPS (SOAP, XML) and maybe others as new protocols or message services must be supported. The connector tier is also responsible for translating between operator specific message formats or protocol specific message formats and the internal message format used by the system. A service is a component or module that does something for a user of the service like a chat service, auction service etc. Even though the system works very well today, there are many drawbacks. The system does not scale very well, if one thing crashes it might crash the whole system and whenever a new update is needed for example for service A, the whole system must be restarted which resets the current state of all services and the rest of the system (the latter can easily be solved by persistence of course but you see my point). So a new architecture is needed to make the system more scalable and get rid of some of the other issues too. The system will be distributed. The system I am designing now shall be the “core platform” where new connectors and services will be easily be added as new telecom operators shall be supported or new services will be launched. The new system will follow very much of the previous system design, except many parts will be made distributed. The system is implemented in JAVA and I have decided to go for RMI but any other suggestions is welcome  But my main problem in this all is to actually figure out how to make the system distributed to make it as scaleable as possible, flexible, good performance and stable and avoid single point of failure and bottlenecks. The message flow is pretty easy; a message originates as an SMS or MMS from a mobile phone to the operators and then to our system or the message originates from another external system and then is received by the connector tier, which converts it to internal message format and passes it further to the service tier. And vica versa, the message is generated by one of the services, is passed through the system to the connector tier which is then responsible to send it further using the correct connector (i.e. using the correct operator). For telecom operators’ connectors, there can be only one inbound connector but in some cases it can be 1 or many outbound connectors. Today, the connector manager is responsible for starting up each connector which in turn registerate itself with the connector manger using the country code + a unique id for the country as its id. The same for service system, the service manager is responsible for starting up each service which in turn registerate itself with the service manager using a unique service/channel id. There are other requirements to consider too, which is today handled individually by each service which is far from ideal. And that is for example special rules each operator might have. For instance, the operators in Norway have rules that if a user receives 20 premium messages (MT’s) from the system without sending a message back (MO), he shall be logged out of the service/system. Another rule is that a user can totally only be billed for max 5000 NOK pr month so each service must be aware of how much other services has billed. A own subsystem tier will handle this operator rules in the new architecture. My main problem is that I can clearly see how to make this distributed and yet avoid bottlenecks, single point of failure, good performance and stability. On top of that, the services must know where to find the connector manager or connector managers, the connectors must know where to find the service manager or service managers, the connector manager must know where to find all outbound connectors and service manager must know where to find all services. But this post already starts to get extremely long, so let me try to explain a specific scenario. Let’s say a service shall send the same message to 1500 users. The service can either generate 1500 messages; post them to the connector manager which dispatches the message further to correct connector. This might or might not put unnecessary load on the system. Instead, the service can generate 1 message containing 1500 recipients and pass it to the connector manager which in turn will can either sort the recipients based on country and operator for each user, generate 1 message for each combination of country+operator and add multiple recipients if the operator supports that or break it up in single message if the operator does not support multiple recipients in the message formats. Though sending 1 message to multiple recipients (if operator supports it) creates new problems; message logging. But that is of course also solvable. Another way is that the connector manager itself is responsible for creating 1 message for each recipient and passes it on to the correct connector. At least, this takes away load from service to connector manager. But then, what if the connector manager gets overloaded or crashes? Well, then we can run several instances of a connector manager. But how will a service know if a connector manager is down or overloaded and how will it find next connector manager to use etc Will it for example be ok to use a system where one connector manager is assigned as master and if master is overloaded it will direct request from service to next slave connector manager will such redirection create extra load on the system? Extra load it will put but will it affect the system too much? I really cant see any other solution to it…… Or if master has crashed, another connector manager takes over as master? Well, if you have read all the way down to here, I am happy  And hopefully you get the idea of my problems and hopefully someone can give me some good input  Thank you for your time!!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by CalvinCoder
The system is implemented in JAVA and I have decided to go for RMI but any other suggestions is welcome 

ever heard of "Erlang" (wikipedia/google)-the project you are describing seems like the natural fit for it, in fact Erlang was specifically invented for this sort of applications (distributed, scalable, high-reliability ...) and even for the very domain you are working in.

So, you may want to check out some of the wikipedia references and maybe do a quick forum search for Erlang here at gamedev.net to see what people think about it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Also, note that there's no need to implement all of the new design in Erlang: rather, Erlang has been designed with high interoperability in mind, thus it has various mechanisms available that allow it to work with modules/programs implemented in other languages - such as for example, C, C++, Python or Java - i.e. by using CORBA, RMI or other RPC methods (possibly custom ones,likewise you can link in native libraries, too).

So, there should be hardly any reasons not to check out Erlang in your specific case, as you will be able to retain much of your current design and functionality while simply progressing step by step using Erlang.

Besides, your specs are pretty specific, you may find that these things are better dealt with in a Erlang forum (newsgroup/mailing list), given that the users there are not only extremely familiar with Erlang itself, but also the domain you are working in, you should be able to expect lots of support - of course, you should make sure to first consult the docs & references, to actually get some basic understanding of Erlang in the first place.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
ever heard of "Erlang" (wikipedia/google)-the project you are describing seems like the natural fit for it, in fact Erlang was specifically invented for this sort of applications (distributed, scalable, high-reliability ...) and even for the very domain you are working in.

Jepp, sure :) I've been working with telecom for several years which is a field that uses Erlang a lot, so I am aware of Erlang. Though switching to Erland is not something I think we will do and that's why I havent considered it. We have already invested a good amount of time and money into our current system which we can reuse almost every bit of code.

Quote:
Also, note that there's no need to implement all of the new design in Erlang: rather, Erlang has been designed with high interoperability in mind, thus it has various mechanisms available that allow it to work with modules/programs implemented in other languages - such as for example, C, C++, Python or Java - i.e. by using CORBA, RMI or other RPC methods (possibly custom ones,likewise you can link in native libraries, too).

Yes, I will dig further down in Erland and look for ideas on how to adpot the various mechanisms into our appliacation.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
(different ap) I'd suggest looking into the recently open sourced Terracota java virtualization system. It's supposed to make it easy to distribute any threaded java application (like tomcat).

I know our java application server were I work handles millions of transactions a day, but it's backed by a mainfram os/390. And it's not telecom, but finance.

Quote:

While I'm a pretty big Erlang fanboy, I have to correct this statement.
C/C++/Python/Java can only be used by Erlang in 3 ways. C Built-in-function you have to program yourself (good luck on that, since Erlang is very strict), through piped message passing (for a limited language subset), or through network message passing (basically having an erlang server locally with another binary talking to it localhost).

http://erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5.2/doc/tutorial/part_frame.html

Guys,

thank you very much for your replys and feedback. It is really appreciated. :)

My main concern is really not which languages to use. I am very aware of the nature of Erlang, though I dont have huge experience with it.

My main concern is really how to divide my application into several nodes and how each node should work and communicate with other nodes..... Of course, communication will be done using RMI, I mean things like what is responsbile for doing what to keep a stable distributed system with good performance and avoiding single point of failures and bottlenecks)...

I know for example Erlang can help calculating some of the issues based on how much traffic will pass in and out, however, the nature of this system is not as easy as for example a typical call center so it is a difficult task.

Like the connector subsystem, if we for instance simplify it and says it only supports inbound and outbound SMS, I have some basic ideas on how I want to structure the application but I still cant see cleary if my toughts are good or bad.

Basicly, the inbound connectors is not so much to do about, for each operator it can only be one inbound any how. But the translation of operator specific message format (for example from JMS message) to our internal message format (which is XML based) can maybe be an idea to distribute but for low traffic that will just make it slower but for high traffic (whatever that will be in number of incoming messages) it might be a good idea to be able to distribute the translation even though each translator (for each inbound message) will anyhow be started in its own thread. And since each connector anyhow runs as a standalone process, we can dediced one single computer for one single inbound connector which should be able to handle a pretty high load.

Its the outbound connectors that will be kept busy really. And for outbound connectors, we can run several connectors for one operator. Though, there must be a connector manager (or maybe a OutboundMessageDispatcher is a better name), than must construct a operator specific message for each user and pass it on to the connector so this message dispatcher will do a heavy job to in some cases. And its here I am a bit stuck, to figure out how to design it properly for keeping stabiity and good performance while avoiding bottlenecks and single point of failures. Obviously, single point of failure for this sceneario can be abvoided by using several message dispatchers, but it is here my real question is on "how do I better do that?" .. By assigning one message dispatcher as master which redirects requests to slaves when overloaded and have a system for reassigning a new master if original master goes down (maybe a network heartbeat system or someting).....

So basicly, if someone has any feedback on this matter, I would be more than greateful :)

Cheers,

Eirik Moseng,
CTO
Digiment Games
http://www.digimentgames.com

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By NfiniT
      Hello!  Our team is a searching for a 2D Artist looking to add a title (whether the first one, or one of many) to his portfolio, with the opportunity to pursue a long-term partnership.

Position & Responsibilities:
      Our team is looking for a 2D Artist to help produce finalized art assets from our current concepts and help finish our current working prototype.  This includes various stylized cartoon characters, level components/objects, background art, and possible UI elements.  The entire team can either provide you the concept art, or let you have extended creative freedom, it's up to you--whichever you feel is better suited for your process.
      Also, although this is not a requirement, if you want to expand your skill-base, you can dabble in the other aspects as well, be it animation, programming, design, narrative, etc.
      Project Description:
      Our project is titled Stanley and the Clocktower Caper, and is a casual 2D platformer with a puzzle element and child-friendly combat.  Our goal is a funny, relaxing experience that intentionally does not take itself seriously.
      Set in the steam-punk styled town, our protagonist Stanley (a sloth), is a local tinkerer and keeper of the town's clocktower.  The town and clocktower have been invaded (story-related reasoning) and are swarming with spiders who've gummed up the cogs with webs, removed gears and all-around caused chaos.  Stanley must make his way down, out of the clocktower, which will require unclogging gears, finding missing pieces to levers, switches, gear-trains, etc.  While all of this is a tall order, thankfully Stanley is an avid consumer of Slothbux, a particularly caffeinated brand of coffee which gives Stanley quite the pick-me-up (how else do you think a sloth manages to be a tinkerer and get so many odd things done!? ) and allows him to accomplish some feats of speed, agility and strength not normally attainable otherwise!
      This game will consist of Stanley escaping the tower, which is apparently going to be a pretty big tower for such a little sloth!  It must have a lot of clocks...  Pending good reception on release (this is discussed below), we would happily consider a follow-up adventure.
      Release & Other Business Stuff:
      We'll be releasing on PC, and are targeting a July release--it is an admittedly small window, but a lot of the functionality already exists and we've got a realistic perception of what we're capable of as a small team and have kept the scope of our project focused accordingly.  Distribution channel is not finalized, though the most obvious and likely candidates are Steam and Itch.io.  Price-point of the final product is TBD.
      You will be included in the rev-share, and of course that's regardless of whether you fill the role and leave or decide to stay with us for future titles.
      Team:
      There are currently four of us, you will be the fifth.
      1) (Me) Our resident programmer, and dabble in both concept art & Design. 
      2) Our producer (handles scheduling, keeping things organized and on task), who also handles animation & dabbles in design.
      3) Our lead designer (story, level layout, etc.), who also does a bit of concept art
      4) Our sound engineer, who is also using the opportunity to learn a bit of programming.
      Links to Stuff:
      Working prototype--https://iconoclast209.itch.io/stanley

If you would like to fill the role or have more questions, feel free to reach out to me on PM or on Discord at Bryant - NfiniT#5890 
      Thank you for your time!
    • By revolverolver
      Aloha,
      First time working in 3D. Not as difficult as I thought it would be although I am pretty much a complete beginner in Blender. I chose the low poly style because I like how it looks and it is a lot easier than trying to make it look realistic.
      The gameplay is pretty much all physics driven which makes it feel satisfying to play. If it looks any fun then please check it out. I could really use a review or two.
      Here are some promo codes so that you don't have to pay a dime to download it: 
      PJW7MTMWL3W3
      A4JLYRPTXMJH
      AXRKPMAT7AAY
      YMFJPTPJ9EX3
      JY3W6FNKTM6L

App store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flip-trickster/id1351027839?l=en&mt=8

• By Innoc uous
      I'm working on a space game, and I suck at art. I would love to get some help from someone who is more skilled than me. Things I need include modular space ship parts and GUI elements. Nothing too fancy, just functional so I can get a prototype put together. This could potentially become a serious project, but for now this is just a hobby project.

In this video, you can see a few things I already completed
      :2018-02-24 20-08-13.flv2018-02-24 20-08-13.flv
    • By Innoc uous
      If you want to incorporate noise into your shaders, the Turbulance Library has you covered. Using code I gathered from this library, I made a cginc file that contains all you need to easily implement noise into your unity shaders. Who knows how this stuff works, but man, does it work well!

https://pastebin.com/LLCUpJut

Here is an example of what you can create using these noise functions.

• By Nio Martinez
      I'll be buying a new laptop as my workstation for building games, Mostly 3D but not hard core. 

I'm stuck at choosing between these 2 specs below. Does this really matter and if so, can some one tell my how and why it matters. 
      Choice1:
      Intel core i5-8250U (8th gen Kabylake refresh)(6 MB Smart Cache, 1.6 GHz Base with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz) 4 cores 8 threads
      RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)
      GPU 2 GB DDR5 Nvidia MX150 256 bit
      SSD: yes
      Choice2:
      Intel core i7-7500U 2.70GHz Base Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz Boost) 2 Cores, 4 Threads
      RAM 4 GB DDR4 (1800 MHz)
      GPU 2 GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce 940MX 256 bit
      SSD: No

• Advertisement