• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
i_luv_cplusplus

terrains in WoW

This topic is 4133 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Plz no "omg it's WoW you can't do that comments" does anyone know how they do their terrains? Precisely - texturing of terrains. Are they just stretching a big texture over the terrain? Obviously they aren't blending textures in pixel shader, because it runs on my junk Geforce2. I don't think (although it's possible) they are doing multi-pass rendering, because that would be choking for most computers. If not these, then what?

Advertisement
I think it's actually multitextured, tiled terrain type textures with blend levels set on vertices (and obviously very optimized). I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like. If not, then maybe there are textures blending between types that are tiled in between? (like 2d tiled games do...) If you look closely, you can see that the terrain repeats :-)

Do a search for WOWMapViewer for the source-code of a program that can render WOW terrains, and does it well.

From what I remember when I poked through the source-code many moons ago WOW uses plain splatting.

WoW uses up to four textures on a map tile, with one 64x64 map for each tile controlling the blending factors for the textures (plus a static shadow map, too).

It can be done on the GPU with one pass using 5 texture reads, with 4 detail textures plus one more blending+shadow texture (the RGB channels contain the blending for texture layers 1-3 (layer 0 is always opaque), and the alpha channel has the shadow map). Or you can do it in multiple passes with the fixed function pipeline.

...and yeah, see the wowmapview source for more details, although it is an ugly mess and I haven't touched it for more than a year. ;P
But I think it's still available on sourceforge.
--> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wowmapview/wowmapview-0.5-src.zip

or see here for versions updated to work with the new patch / tbc (I think... I'm really really out of the loop on WoW nowadays)
http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=35&func=select&id=2

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!