• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Engine Design

This topic is 4039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to make a "small" graphics engine with Direct3D9 for displaying not too complex objects like primitives or lo-poly models. I'm not familiar with an engine design and i think it's time for me to learn it. I need modularity for my main purpose in coding (only for this season) is to developing a physics engine. Perhaps you can recommend some books or articles or tutorials or even your opinion about this subject. It shouldn't be too complex, but i want to learn about memory management and manager (they calling it) objects. I might be able to add primitives with one single line of code and engine should take care of it than. I might add some lights, textures as well as a gui system to make output texts. So, how could you implement such a "small" engine?

Advertisement
Check out the API documentation for Ogre and Irrlicht for some inspiration of engine design. There are tons of classes, but just look at the most important ones or the ones youre not sure how to implement yourself for good ideas.

I'm going to move this thread over to 'General Programming' - this forum is more for specific API design and programming issues and it sounds like you want broader general engine design guidance.

GameDev.net maintains a list of books and reviews - here's a list of engine-related books [smile]

To be honest, you can achieve your stated goals by following standard software engineering practices - there are 100's if not 1000's of books on this subject!

Feel free to drop by the DX forums for more specific design/architecture questions for Direct3D development...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement