• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
u235

[web] What to upload for ASP.NET site

This topic is 4205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made a web site with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and now I am trying to upload it to my web space. I uploaded what I think were all the right files but I am having trouble getting it to work right. I uploaded all the .aspx files and all the .aspx.cs file as well the necessary images. I'm thinking I missed something, but I am not too sure. Also, I am hosting my site on DotNetPark if anyone knows the specifics for that hosting company. I can't seem to find any help on the support page to tell me what to do. Thanks. -AJ

Advertisement
Apparently what I meant by all the .aspx.cs files was all the .aspx.cs files except MasterPage.master.cs . *Shrugs shoulders* It happens sometimes I guess. However another problem has occured, now that I am able to actually make my page display. There are several images on the master page that aren't coming up on the content pages. Any idea why this might be? Thanks.

-AJ

[EDIT]Please ignore this entire thread. My entire problem was my lack of attention to detail. D'oh. Sorry for wasting forum space[/EDIT]

Unsaid GameDev.net rule: Even if you discover the answer to your own question, no matter how silly or trivial, post it so that you can share it with others, who WILL have the same problem as you in the future.

Make sure asp.net 2 is enabled by your web host since most will default to 1.1 and you must manually enable asp 2.
Also if you have your own domain for example yourdomain.com make sure one of your pages is called default.aspx which one of them should be anyways unless you changed the default name.
Also be careful using visual studio to upload website since it will glady overwrite all existing files even in your root directory as I found out when first uploading my asp.net site to my webhost.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Unsaid GameDev.net rule: Even if you discover the answer to your own question, no matter how silly or trivial, post it so that you can share it with others, who WILL have the same problem as you in the future.

I also had to change the directory that my files were in and after I did that, I forgot to move my images directory, so the images weren't being displayed. BTW, is that an ASP.NET thing where if an image can't be found, it displays nothing, rather than the standard 'box with a red x' image, or would it be a Firefox thing? Thanks.

-AJ

Quote:
BTW, is that an ASP.NET thing where if an image can't be found, it displays nothing, rather than the standard 'box with a red x' image, or would it be a Firefox thing?

You did that yourself. If an image cannot be displayed, it's alt attribute will be shown instead. If the alt attribute is empty or just a space (Something Visual Web Developer 2005 Express probably does automatically) you won't see it at all. It only shows the red X if there is no alt attribute.

Consider using the aspnet_compiler tool to deploy the application to a (local) staging directory, whereby you can then zip it up or otherwise prepare it for transfer to production.

Be aware that the aspnet_compiler also copies web.config, despite the fact you almost NEVER want that.

I strongly recommend that you test the compiled version of your application on another virtual host locally first (under IIS on win2003 or the VS.NET built in web server elsewhere) to check that it works properly in compiled form, as I've discovered a few issues myself.

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!