Programming as a Career

Started by
22 comments, last by frob 17 years, 2 months ago
I personally think you should go to college just for the experience of it. If you do it "correctly," it can easily be one of the best periods of your life. When you're there, don't be antisocial. Be sure you make friends and go to parties every once in a while. You can still be a total bookworm while partying occasionally.

I also think that college is what you make of it. If you go with the attitude that you won't learn anything new, only get rehashes of things you already know, then most likely you won't learn anything and you'll be wasting your time. You need to be open-minded. Like skittleo said, college has a tendency to humble you and provide you with a more realistic view of what you do and do not know.

Quote:Original post by tleisher
I do have one more question though, how serious/prestigious is a degree from ITT Tech in Software Engineering? How is it look upon vs a regular 4-year degree program in Computer science.

A degree from ITT Tech might not look bad to the interviewer; however, a degree from a 4-year university will certainly look better.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tleisher
I do have one more question though, how serious/prestigious is a degree from ITT Tech in Software Engineering? How is it look upon vs a regular 4-year degree program in Computer science.

Can't answer your question, but man you're from California?? Go to Berkeley! You'd get in-state tuition and you're like guaranteed a job when you graduate. According to usnews it's one of the #1 computer science schools in the country!
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
I would go to Berkeley but it's 5 hours from my home, and I can't afford the dorm life, plus my job, family and girlfriend are here.

Instead I'm going to go to Cal State Long Beach, it's one of the best in California (Next to Berkeley).
When interviewing, most people don't care what school the degree is from. They may give a tiny preference to you if you went to the same school they did, but otherwise nobody cares. All they care is that you have the degree from an accredited program.

ITT has accredited Bachelor's programs. That's really all that's important.

Enjoy the learning, and I hope you take advantage of all the opportunities you have during your experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement