• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xelanoimis

Call Of Duty 3 sun rays / bloom effect ?!

This topic is 4193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Can anyone help me with a tip about how the sun rays / bloom effect in Call Of Duty 3 for XBOX360 is made? It looks like a post processing effect in pixel shader. Like the light/dark areas are bloomed and shifted along a direction. The shift distance is pretty long in some angles, even up to half of screen. Any pointing to an useful documentation is welcomed. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/278/reviews/928655_20061006_screen010.jpg Thanks!

Advertisement
Google for "light shafts" or similar, I don't remember the exact phrase.

The basic trick is to trace a ray for each screen pixel by taking a series of samples through the shadow map of your lightsource and average the light/shadow ratio along this ray. A shadow map is needed for this technique to work. And to look good the use of a lot of samples is suggested. More than fifty, maybe, or even hundred. That's why this technique eats graphics boards for breakfast.

I've not seen that particular game, but quite a few seem to do it with a basic bloom effect combined with a radial blur. It's not physically accurate but it looks good and you can get very large streaks without needing too much fillrate.

Combined with some manually placed light shaft geometry (which you may want to render straight into the bloom target, and not have them directly visible) you can get something which looks nice and isn't ridiculously expensive.

yes this is the effect im trying to achive also (still) i've tried radial blur which doesnt work well (i still think its a radial blur or some sort), i get some major bluring around the light causing the light or my sun in my case to become massive, and it doesnt work well if the sun is off screen. Although there were some times when it looked awsome comming through my tree leaves :)

And its definately not geometry as it comes through alpha stuff

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!