• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
caseyd

[web] Developer friendly web hosts?

This topic is 4132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking for low cost web hosting for experimenting with different web technologies. I know of plenty but would rather go with a suggestion from somebody instead of just picking one. Thanks, Casey

Advertisement
If it's just for experimenting then get any old box, plug it in your network and set up a LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, PHP/Perl/Python, MySQL). Ubuntu and Debian both have install CD's where you can simply select "LAMP" from the installation menu and forget about it (for Ubuntu, make sure you download the server CD, not the desktop/Live CD).

Alternatively you can get XAMMP from www.apachefriends.org and do the same with any old Windows box.

my friend owns a web host company if anyone ever need somewhere to host. He even host mud @ http://www.altrealm.com.

I found Dreamhost to be great for developers, though I needed my own dedicated server, so I'm not with them at the moment.

Hi,

If your in the western United States I would highly recommend BlueHost:
www.bluehost.com. If you want to play with running your own services,
you'll also need to purchase a dedicated IP from them, but their
costs are very reasonable as far as web hosting goes. They have full
support for Perl, Python, MySQL, Apache, etc.. you name it, they have it.

metrix

Aside --> Seriously though, take the M in LAMP back to Middleware and leave out the MySQL and if you ever get the chance, check out PostgreSQL.

Not to start a database war, but for websites I prefer MySQL. Updating is slow but reading is very fast and websites are 95% reading. I'd use postgress in more demanding surroundings where lots of writing is involved (warehouse management, tracking, etcetera).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!