• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gamelife

Restrictions of java applet games

This topic is 4135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear all, Today my boss asked me to create some mini-scale multiplayer games for demos in our company website. I'm thinking of two directions - using java applets or standalone apps. The former has the advantage of playable via single click in browser - just popup another window and no need to install (like those in yahoo games). But being a hardcore C++ games programmer, I'm thinking of reasons to persuade my boss to go for standalone games. I've little knowledge in web/applet technology. I want to know, what are the restrictions of games written in signed java applets, compared with those written as stand-alone applications (using C++, java, or whatever)? I played those applet games in yahoo, seems most of them are turn-based and using simple 2D graphics. Is it possible to make a more sophisticated, real-time multiplayer action game in java applets nowadays? Thx for your info.

Advertisement
i think you'll be limited to 2D only (atleast with the current java version) unless the JNI works with applets.

However you might also want to consider using flash as it allows you to create simple webgames relativly quickly. (flashs networking libs wasn't that great last time i looked though, but for simple games its not really necessary)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!