• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anton Vatchenko

Sort rectangles

This topic is 4220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a set of rectangles (non-crossing) on a 2d field. So there's a set of (x, y, w, h). I need to sort them to reach the folowing rule: for every rectangle the previous ones are to the right and up, the next - are right and down, so: x[i-1]+w[i-1]<=x && y[i-1]+h[i-1]<=y x[i+1]>=x+w && y[i+1]>=y+h[i+1] How to sort it quickly?

Advertisement
I assume you mean that the previous one is left and up, not right and up, since the sort order you describe is impossible.

I think you've answered your own question in terms of the comparision you need to do.

Assuming C++, std::sort would be a good place to start unless profiling proves you need a better sort algorithm.

You could either overload operator< for your rectangle class using the formula in your post, or use the second version of std::sort and provide a function object to do the comparison.

class Rect
{
public:
int X,Y,W,H;

bool operator<(const Rect &R) const { return(X+W<=R.X && Y+H<=R.Y); }
}:

I know you say that the rectangles are not overlapping, but what happens in the case that a rectangle is to the right and above another rectangle? Or is that impossible within this particular domain?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!