space sim dev with quake engine II

Started by
4 comments, last by arudson 17 years, 2 months ago
Friends, I am working on this space sim adventure, and I am trying to build it with the Quake II engine. Has anyone experience working with the quake engine? Am I totally nuts trying to develop flight sim and flight instruments in quake (ie. i need gauges, rocket thrust, robot arms, etc.) Thanks Ya'll Jurgen
Advertisement
Why are you using Quake II engine? If you like Quake engine technology then go with the Quake III engine. It is also released under the GPL licence.

There are several places where you can find it, for example:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7547

P.S. The quake engine has been mostly designed with closed enviroments in mind, so it might not be the best solution for a space sim.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Hrm, this isn't really a Help Wanted, I'm gonna move you to... Game Programming.

Using one of the Quake engines probably isn't ideal for a space game. While you can probably get something working it's not really what the engine is designed for, and in particular it's very much aimed at supporting enclosed indoor environments rather than an open space setting.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Right. I think the Quake2 engine uses Euler angles for entity orientation which is not conducive to moving with 6 degrees of freedom; and you'll want 6DOF in a space sim. Back in the day I made a flight sim in Quake engine which is very similar, and it was a royal pain (basically, you have to implement your own rotation matrix code and translate to/from Euler constantly). Of course, with the source code being released you can change the innards but then it becomes something else than "just using the Quake2 engine".

If you really want to use one of these engines, I think Quake3 might be a better choice as it allows larger level sizes and is somewhat "lighter".
great feedback! thank you. I am moving on to Quake III. The 2-3 min adventure space sim I have in mind will include flying through tunnels and things. I am looking for help. It won't be a huge money maker so hold on with the order for a Porsche 911, but it will be a fair competensation for your time. If anyone is interested in building a space sim adventure using Quake III please send me a personal message. THANKS!
Just figured I'd mention that the Freespace source code is available as well.

Cheers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement