• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Libraries for importing 3d objects with skeleton animation

This topic is 4029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can you guys point me to some free libraries that imports 3d objects with skeleton animation in OpenGL? i know about cal3d but i somehow find it hard to implement. The help files are not explicit and i get alot of errors Thanks!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Do you mean that you possibly want a 3d engine supporting skeleton animation and rendering in OpenGL? If so, use the Ogre Graphic Engine. It is totally open-source, and has supported skeleton animation for years. It is also cross-platform, and supports rendering in OpenGL 2.0 and DirectX9(DX10 and OpenGL 3.0 support is supposed to come soon). Look at the skeleton animation demo for what you want. The Ogre website is at http://www.ogre3d.org

StarikKalachnikov - i already knew that 3ds format doesnt support skeleton animation, or any animation that change the mesh for that mather(only rotating translating scaling the model). As for the Ogre... i want to create my own engine but i dont want to do the skeleton animation library (actualy i dont know about skeleton animation - and i dont know how to write a 3ds max exporter plugin - and also i dont want to use any md3 mdl, md2 file types).
Thanks!

I'm kinda curious about this matter myself. Are there any particular disadvantages to using a pre-made animation library like Cal3D? What sorts of restrictions would it impose that I could only dodge by writing my own?
Thanks. :)

Quote:
Original post by n00body
Are there any particular disadvantages to using a pre-made animation library like Cal3D?

The interface is a little yucky. Also, it is in general an ill-defined library, which sprawls inelegantly between animation and rendering.
Quote:
What sorts of restrictions would it impose that I could only dodge by writing my own?

Not many. The only thing in the library which really takes a stand on how you should do things is the mixer; and that's replaceable.

Well then, can you point in the general direction of some in-depth tutorials on writing my own model-loading and animation classes/functions? Preferably not beginner, as it would be better to have something solid and production-worthy.

[Edited by - n00body on February 13, 2007 11:39:16 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement