• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blaze02

Optimization: Depth Only Rendering Pass

This topic is 4202 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a shader graphics engine. First, it disables the color channels and renders the scene to the z-buffer. Then, it turns the color writing back on, and renders the final scene. This works great in that it only has to pixel shade the pixels that are not rejected by the final z-buffer. I get a little z fighting because the pixel shaders are not outputting the same z-value as the fixed pipeline. Has anybody else had this happen? This happens to all my geometry in the scene, even the quads that are rendered using the world matrix set as the identity matrix. It can easily be fixed by adding a small offset to the z value in the vertex shader, but that solution doesn't seem ideal. I've heard messing with the z-bias render state is not a good solution either. Anything I'm missing? Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
The trouble with Z Bias is that theres no real standard way of implementing it on the graphics cards so the units are fairly meaningless and so you can't reply on getting the same result every time. It's far safe to diddle the mvp matrix instead :)

Been there, done that. Even LESSEQUAL gives you patterns of misplaces z-rejects over all surfaces. We solved it by multiplying projectedPos.z with 0.001f. We tried other formulas, viewPos.xyz * 0.001f being the only other method that does not produce heavy artifacts. But this version has problems with parts close to the far clipping plane. There's a seem at the far clipping plane only covered by the PreZ pass but not by the actuall renderings. And you get Z-fighting on distant scene parts with a certain angle to the camera. Better head for the projectedPos.z * 0.001f.

Another question while we're at it: Does the PreZ pass actually gain you anything performance-wise? My test system is Athlon 64 3200+, Geforce7800GT. Although the average pixel shader is 100 instructions in size, we lost roughly 30% framerate by adding that PreZ pass. Only simple test scenes and small indoor scenes do profit a bit by PreZ. From my present experience, I'd drop out PreZ happily if I could. The problem is that we also render out the depth into a texture at the PreZ pass. And there are a couple of post processing filters now that rely on accessing that depth. Bad luck, I guess.

Bye, Thomas

Ummm, how about using the same geometry transformation during both passes. This is a solved problem, eh? Just because you're not writing color doesn't mean you have to turn off shaders, just write a very simple 'prepass' shader that only does transformation, and no color/lighting work. You should be able to use ZEQUAL and get EXACTLY the same rasterization on the lighting passes as you do during your z-prepass. Doom III worked this way. And yes, it is very often a performance win (assuming that your pixel shaders are expensive and/or you have a non-trivial amount of overdraw).

Quote:

Ummm, how about using the same geometry transformation during both passes. This is a solved problem, eh? Just because you're not writing color doesn't mean you have to turn off shaders, just write a very simple 'prepass' shader that only does transformation, and no color/lighting work. You should be able to use ZEQUAL and get EXACTLY the same rasterization on the lighting passes as you do during your z-prepass.

No. As I said: I tried it. It doesn't transform exactly the same. Same matrices, same viewport, yet I got sparkling ZFail patterns everywhere. Happened both on a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a NVidia Geforce 7800 GT. I've read this claims in some docs as well, but theory doesn't match reality here.

Bye, Thomas

u should never see zfighting by drawing the same geometry, ive been doing it for years + never an issue ( in fact in the gl spec IIRC its guarantted to work) . the only cases where it can fail is if the vertices are not the same
(eg clipplanes are enabled)

This sounds to me a lot like deferred shading - is there a reason why you're not not using that instead? Or are you trying to support older hardware?

Assuming you're using the same geometry for the depth only pass and the rest of the passes, the ONLY way you should be getting ANY sort of z-fighting artifact is, as others have mentioned, if you're using a different transform.

Note that using the FFP transform and doing the multiply yourself in a vertex shader are NOT THE SAME! There are some options and ways you can work around this, but, like someone already said, simply write a depth-only shader that transforms the vertices exactly as is done for the rest of the shaders.

Quote:
Original post by blaze02
I get a little z fighting because the pixel shaders are not outputting the same z-value as the fixed pipeline.

In OpenGL you can say ftransform() in your vertex shader and it guarantuees that the transformation output will be identical to the fixed pipeline. Doesn't DirectX offer a similar function()?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!