MFC won't let you create more than 10K objects

Started by
23 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 2 months ago
thanks...

you are right, what I am trying to do is not what the OS was desined for.

I think I need to write my own OS for what I am doing.

(edited) It's serious! Not intend to make you spill cofee.
Advertisement
No, you don't.

I assure you you can implement whatever it is you're trying to represent with 10,000 controls in Windows. As I said, all you need to do is use one control. Since you're being so stubborn (likely naively, I might add) about revealing your idea, I'll explain to you using my previously cited example of a graph control.

I needed a control to provide a visual representation of a directed acyclic graph containing (potentially) large numbers of vertices (nodes). The control was to be used to build or add onto the graph, so each node had to appear to act like a little window within the graph control -- draggable, clickable, et cetera.

This was done with one single control/HWND. The GraphView class had a big list of all the "logical children" (the 10,000 child windows in your example, the graph vertices in mine). But only one actual HWND. When the HWND was repainted, the children would be manually redrawn with simple GDI commands (culling was used so that I only processed and painted the visible set of children, obviously).

Likewise, when deal with user input, I would trap the input from the main HWND and use simple logic to find out if the input or event happened to correspond to any of the logical children, and perform the appropriate actions such as moving or deleting the child/vertex et cetera.

It's not all that difficult a solution, and it should work for what you're doing.

Quote:
I think I need to write my own OS for what I am doing.

That is, quite frankly, ridiculous. All other issues aside, if you rebuilt your own OS, you know how you'd handle having 10,000 child controls? Exactly how I described handling in Windows. Except you'd have spent thousands of man-hours reimplementing a basic, stripped-down operating system to do it, and then nobody could use your brilliant new technology because nobody has your OS installed.
hello jpetrie,

your comparison is very close. So the solution is to 'draw my own UI' as in you first post. I will have to rethink my design.

Rewriting OS was a thought because I have a SAMS book with CD codes ready.

Yes I am a little naive program-wise and perhaps otherwise.
From your posts it seems like you're using this mostly, if not exclusively, for the message passing system... If that is the case, why not impliment your own messaging system, or use one of the existing, freely available solutions?

There's nothing magic about the Windows messaging system, other than that its tied into the OS. If you need to interact with the OS or other Apps some combination of IPC and/or a translation layer between your wndProc and your own messaging system should suffice. You can create a functional equivilant to the Windows Message System in a weekend tops (A good programmer with an idea what they're doing could do it in a few hours,) and it will be more tailored and optimized for your situation.

That being said, I think you most likely do have a poor design, as others have pointed out. Honestly, if it were the best solution someone smarter than you, I and 99% of other programmers would have thought of, and implimented, it already. There's a reason no one has.

Also, why do you have to keep your reasons so hush-hush? Its not like your idea is going to be so earth-shattering that everyone here will steal it and get rich... share your problem, rather than your symptoms, and we can help you find a solution.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

thanks pavyne,

yes one of the main reason for doing this is to use message handling. Will do search for available codes out there.

One reason for the hush-hush of my project is to keep peoples the latte where it belongs-- in the cup not on someones lap or the screen.

Thanks!
The "redesign" you need is identical to the "Flyweight" design pattern ... in a case where you want to have MANY MANY MANY of an object and the cost to do so the naive way (instanciate a new instance of some thing for each one) is too costly to be performant, then you simple come up with an agregate object instead, which efficently acts as the manager of the data for the multiples.

Examples would be:

1. having a View class which manages its whole Device Context instead of a device context per object in the view.
2. having a ParticleSystem instead of instantiate objects per particle ...

you get the idea I hope.

Xai,

this crossed my mind but the drawback for me is when the number of objects becomes large then the manager has to do a search on the data everytime it needs access. Perhaps a multistage manager is ok, too. Thanks.
Ordering your objects (or keeping ordered references) might help with the searching problem. It is possible to create a pretty efficient search structure depending on your needs,like quad-trees.
rookie,

at the moment I don't have a way to order or prearrange my objects because there is no order in them. Thanks.
Is this a joke thread?

If not, just implement your own messaging system. Anything else is just making things hard on yourself.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement