• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Robert_L

Vista and DirectX computer and softeare setup

This topic is 4216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a question on my intentions. Any input would be aprreciated. My computers: I have a machine running WindowsXP with all my art tools. Maya, PS, etc. I cannot afford to upgrade it all to Vista. Besides my gfx card is way past old but is suffice for GameArt. I have a second machine. I want to upgrade for Vista, DX10, Visual C# and XNA when they become available. Is it feasible to make my models and textures on XP and upload them to the soon to be Vista machine? I don't now how "new" Vista will be. Is everything pre-Vista broke with it (won't run)? I have limited knowledge about Vista.

Advertisement
What do you mean by upload? Transfer your model files to the other machine? Are you under the impression that Vista somehow wont accept files made on previous versions of windows? This is not the case, most everything that ran on XP will run on Vista in time with patches. Of course there will be the usually growing pains that come with switching operating systems. Lack of hardware drivers, weird software crashes initially, etc.

I really don't see how the operating system could have any affect on model/texture files. You should be fine creating content on your XP machine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!