Architecture Student switching carrer paths

Started by
1 comment, last by superpig 17 years, 2 months ago
Greetings, I have worked as a 2D CAD draftsman and junior project manager in 3 architectural firms for the past 6 years. Recently I lost my job and have been unemployed for the past 2 weeks. Its then and there I decided to get back into school and get that degree. Currently I am an Architecture major at a junior college applying to USCs school of architecture. During the application process I noticed that under the 'unusual or unique activities' section I listed extensivly my online gaming and tournament play. I contacted USCs Viterbi school of engineering to change my minor/second major to the new Computer Science (Games) BA program at USC. Its no secret that I have considered for years completing my architectural education and going into level design in the gaming industry. I have been looking on several jobs sites for positions in the game developement industry. My question is what position should I be applying for? I have 6 years of 2D CAD experience and exceptionally strong graphical skills and 3D understanding.(I have trouble imaging how people CANT take something thats 2D and imagine it in 3D) But I have a very slight education in programming languages and graphical applications other than Autocad and photoshop. I know it wont be all fun and games its work, but I know I would be much happier developing games. Any pointers on how and at what position I can get my foot in the door would be greatly appreciated. You can view my current portfolio here- http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/alkalinexiii/BRUTE%20Portfolio/ Thanks- Eric [Edited by - Brute on July 23, 2007 11:12:07 PM]
Advertisement
I suggest that you get your degree and then look for a job.

Without a degree or a portfolio, you will not stand out from the thousands of other people that want to be game designers. Interestingly, a degree in architecture is applicable to game design (though more toward level design, but you have to start somewhere). That's one reason for completing your degree. The other reason is that a degree is very valuable if you can't find a job as a game designer (which is the likely outcome).
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Finishing the degree is certainly a good plan.

Beyond that, you need to expand your portfolio with "game" architecture work. Grab some level editors for games - I'd recommend the Valve Hammer Editor used to make levels for Half-Life 2 - and create some environments. If possible, find a mod team (example) and work with them, as it will demonstrate that you can still do your work when operating within a team.

With that kind of experience in your portfolio, you should be in a prime position to apply for Level Designer or Environment Artist jobs.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement