• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grimpirate

[web] PHP 4 Open Source Flat File Database Bulletin Board

This topic is 4134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

That's a long subject line, but it's accurate, figured I'd offer it up here if anybody was interested in checking out the script I wrote for a bulletin board system in PHP 4. It uses flat files rather than any of the SQL databases. You can find the demo at http://grimbb.awardspace.com/

Advertisement
I do wonder but... why?

1. PHP4 - this has been obsolete for some time now and should probably not be used on new deployments due to its obsolescence - it will not be supported for much longer

2. Flat files ... have you done any scalability testing? What happens when there are a million messages in the system? Does it perform correct locking throughout? I assume that there is some sensible system for ensuring that no corruption can occur to the db?

It just seems a little bit pointless, that's all. But well done anyway.

Mark

GrimBB is intended for people who use free servers and have free sites. Most of these only provide PHP 4, and no SQL databases. Therefore in order to create a forum for these types of folks it's necessary to use flat files. Yes it does prevent records from being overwritten as it's not one single flat file that stores the records but rather various flat files. Furthermore, they are buffered so that writing can only be performed on them by one user at a time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!