maya x file size too large?

Started by
5 comments, last by chilledoutjohn 17 years, 2 months ago
Hello all The awnser to this maybe on the forums somwhere, i can't seem to find it. Basicly, any models i export from maya (maya 7) using the microsoft D3DMaya7ExportX.mll seems to be very large file size wise for what it is. a small untextured cube is litrally over a meg large and i cant seem to find any way of decreasing the file size. There seems to be no options within the export settings in maya when the .x format is sellected that allow me to alter anything. Im quite new to direct x so am probably doing something very wrong, but if anyone has any information that could help it would be appreciated cheers John.
Advertisement
Maybe youre trying to export extra options that you don't need, like animation, and other stuff. How large is your cube. My exporter (even though im using Maya 8, its built against Maya 7 version) is exporting a 1x1x1 cube with no animation in the export options is 11.5kb, while the same dimension cube with anmation set to true (even though it has none) will be 45kb. So I suspect If your cube is roughly 200kb and has animation it would would be over a meg.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

I've not tried to use that exporter but those files sizes do sound totally daft.

If you open the file in HexEdit or Notepad and have a look at the first 16 characters you should be able to see how it is exported.

If you look 9 characters in...

xof 0303bin 0032 - binary format (pretty small)
xof 0303bzip0032 - binary compressed format (the smallest)
xof 0303txt 0032 - text format (bigger than god himself)

I suspect its exporting as text and with animation information too and that why its so huge. If you can read the data in notepad than thats the issue. If you have no options in the exporter to not export animation or change the export method then don't worry about it too much, it wont break anything, but if its for download then we need to find you a solution

D.
''Don''t just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It''s the only way to live a life without regrets.'' - SEGA
Quote:Original post by mono_eric3

If you can read the data in notepad than thats the issue.
D.

Actually you can read all exported x files in the notepad since theyre in ASCII code.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Apologies, should have been more specific.

If the data is ledgible in notepad then the data is being stored as text. It will look pretty much like code in layout.

Binary X files will open in notepad but the only ledgible part will be the header. The rest will just look like random data.

D.
''Don''t just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It''s the only way to live a life without regrets.'' - SEGA
Hi, thanks for all of your help

To mono_eric3, yes i checked the model in note pad and the code like thing was:
xof 0303txt 0032 - text format (bigger than god himself) For now its ok, but i have some rather more complicated low polly character models which are currently exporting at around the 10 meg mark, which is a bit of a worrie :). Im going to scout round a bit more to see if there are any other maya plugin's for direct x.

The current version of the plugin i have is 6, so i'll check the site, see if theres a newer release?

anyway, thanks again

John
Update

There are export options, they are just not where the normal ones are, so i think i'm ok now (for a while at least) :)

Cheers

oh and incase anyone else has the same problem:

When the directX plugin has been installed and loaded another menu called DirectX will apear at the top of the screen over on the right, everything you need is in there.

John

[Edited by - chilledoutjohn on January 31, 2007 5:59:43 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement