• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CGameProgrammer

AI-controlled spaceship war simulation

This topic is 4296 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Demo and screenshots: devimg.net/?Post=463 This was done more as a technical exercise than as a game. In fact it's not really a game since you can control everybody's ships and order them to attack each other. The AI is pretty complex and I described it in more detail at the above link. Graphics were not a priority so it's more impressive in motion than in screenshots, but here's one anyway. The hard-coded scenario involves four capital ships that each launch many smaller fighters, though the total number of ships only reaches about 100. I've run it with hundreds but the large capital ships are very expensive computationally; I may release an alternate scenario with hundreds of small ships for comparison.

Advertisement
I love this thing. It would be neat to see things in the battle from the perspective of the fleet's admiral and be able to switch view from a cruiser to a fighter squad. (Your link doesn't really mention anything about the fighters, but they didn't seem to be in squads).

I'd love to have this as a screensaver. Go to the jon and come back to find the "smarter" admiral of the blue fleet managed to win a battle when the odds were against him. Heck, seeing the orders the admiral throws around would be wicked too...

Sorry about the wishful thinking, my only *real* suggestion is to have the fight begin on it's own without user input.

r++ for making my day

A screensaver is a good idea, and I went ahead and began writing one. In fact it's basically done, except that I still have to screensaver-ify it by adding the appropriate Windows procedure handlers. But I did already create a stereoscopic version, and the ships automatically attack each other in that version; all you do is control the camera. It's at the same download link as above.

By the way, all ships act independently; there's no real organization, except that the capital ships tell their spawned fighters whom to attack. And if someone needs help, they'll summon any nearby idle allies to help. But a real group AI is yet to be written.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!