Compression of Fraps movies

Started by
10 comments, last by zedzeek 17 years, 2 months ago
This is kind of game related, because I'm attempting to take movies of some demos for a (non-gaming related) job interview. I figure that they can at least demonstrate that I'm capable of creating something. Anyway, I've been recording 30 second movies with fraps, which turn out to be 300 Mb. I've been trying to compress them using VirtualDub, which I recall has worked in the past. But now, it's just complaining: "Video Compression error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)" I don't really understand. As far as I know, fraps outputs an uncompressed avi, and I'm attempting to compress into divx with virtual dub. Does anyone know how to fix this, or have another compression program that definately works with movies output from fraps?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
Windows Movie Maker has worked for me in the past.
Perhaps a free tool?

Something that I could get working in short order? Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of time, maybe a couple of days. This interview was sprung on my rather suddenly.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Note that for quite a while now FRAPS doesn't output uncompressed AVIs anymore. Instead, they use a lossless compression codec, which is installed when you install FRAPS.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
You can try "Ashampoo Movie shrink and burn" it works great for me.It is not free but there is a 30 day trial i think.
Quote:Original post by H0M35T4R
You can try "Ashampoo Movie shrink and burn" it works great for me.It is not free but there is a 30 day trial i think.

Ashampoo didn't recognise the file format.

Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
Note that for quite a while now FRAPS doesn't output uncompressed AVIs anymore. Instead, they use a lossless compression codec, which is installed when you install FRAPS.

Is there anything that can recompress it? Because 300Mb for a 30 second file doesn't seem that compressed.
Hav you remembered to install Fraps on the computer where you are running VirtualDub? It's required as Fraps also installs the codec. I'm using VirtualDub to to reencode the movies I capture with Fraps and have not had any problems so far.
Can't remember what it is called, but Fraps mentions two compression programs in its online help - VirtualDub and another one. I use the other one (sorry this is a bit vague) and have successfully produced well compressed (3 - 4meg) mpegs with it from 30 second FRAPS movies.

Image quality is a bit rubbish though. Example here if you want to see the results.
Okay, I just found that it will encode without problem using the "Windows Media Player 9 Video" codec, which surprisingly complains when I name the file *.wmv, so I need to name it *.avi, and media player plays it without complaint.

And from 300Mb -> 5.5Mb.

Excellent.
TMPGEnc works for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement