• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to play video formats not supported by DirectShow?

This topic is 4040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, is there a way to somehow extend DirectShow to play unsupported video formats (add a decoding library or sth)? Or is there some other way to play videos using DX than DirectShow? I'd like to perform some post processing on the videos using fragment shaders. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Hi g0nzo,

Yes, you can extend DirectShow to play different video formats by writing your own DirectShow "source filter" to decode the video format. Never done it myself, but it is more than possible. What format are you trying to support? If it is a popular format chances are a third-party DirectShow source filter is already avaliable.

This website should hopefully give you a place to start (if you don't know about it already - lots of links to more specific groups on DirectShow): http://tmhare.mvps.org/

As for your other question, yes there are other ways. Ultimately all need is something to decode the video frames into a block of memory (RGB), allowing you to copy that into a texture. For example, a chap named pjcast made a Ogg Theora video plugin for Ogre3D : http://www.wreckedgames.com/wiki/index.php/WreckedLibs:Plugin_TheoraVideoSystem

Thanks!

I've made application that implements various HDR tone mapping operators in real-time (you can see it here) and found this page about HDR video encoding/decoding.

So I thought about integrating HDR video playback into my app (however I've never done anything in DirectShow before). But before I send them an email asking how they are decoding their HDR video and ask for some samples, I just wanted to know what are possibilites to decode such format.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement