• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Inestical

Project TotY

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Codenamed as Project Time of the Year, the project has been up for some time already and I ought I'd tell something about it. TotY is terrain and model based engine that supports currently: - GLSL shader language - Mesh loading from custom format - Blender importing - Lighting - Terrains - Entity collision - Camera positioning / mutltiple cameras - Frustum culling (some last setups, redone) - Entities - Entity, Terrain and Shader actions - Sky (experiemental) - Materials - Textures - Multitexturing - Frame Buffer Object - Scenemanager (handles everything rendered to the screen) We are currently making or is planned - Shadows - Unlimited static lights - Animations - Audio - Level file - Level Editor We provide with the engine, when it's ready Shaders - Bloom - Tone mapping - Multitexturing - Normal mapping - Bump mapping and some basic shaped models (sphere, box, plane) and maybe some bit more complicated ones. Screenshots: All features are documented and easy to use. Team: Inestical aka Kristian Korkeila Toonist/Ambassador aka Samuel Anjam Thanks for reading, thread is updated very randomly from now on. P.S. RE in the screens means Rabbit Engine and they are from the older version of the engine. [Edited by - Inestical on January 30, 2007 6:19:31 AM]

Advertisement
the engine has nice features, but i assume its just another one of the tons of "dx-9-or-10-for-ms-windows-only-nice-looking-but-not-useable-engine".
so far: i am an engine developer over years, and just features dont impress anyone.

is the engine free? gpl or other license? if not, how much ?
platform independend?
how usefull for game-developers?
benchmarks? thats the most important thing. those pictures are easy to render with blender, but how about the performance?

dont think i try to blame or anger you, but i have seen many many of engines nobody used because they lacked at the core.

Okay, I somehow expected this.

Quote:
the engine has nice features, but i assume its just another one of the tons of "dx-9-or-10-for-ms-windows-only-nice-looking-but-not-useable-engine".
so far: i am an engine developer over years, and just features dont impress anyone.

The screens you see are ingame and around 100-200 fps, the particles are still bit slow (our billboarding algorithms have small issues still) and the demo runs at 97 - 128 fps with my x800.

Quote:
is the engine free? gpl or other license? if not, how much ?
platform independend?

currently, when we publish demo, it is under gpl, but the engine itself isn't decided yet. The price range for the final version would be around 150-300$.

Engine itself is os-INdepependant, and is tested and developed in both linux and windows, but I can ensure that if you support opengl, you can run this.

Quote:
how usefull for game-developers?

we hope the engine will be pretty much helpful, since we try to make the use of features and customizing as easy as possible.

Quote:
benchmarks? thats the most important thing. those pictures are easy to render with blender, but how about the performance?

we do actively benchmark our engine. Of course. Our target is to keep fps as high as possible, even with lower end machines.

Currently, fps with around 4000 polys rendered without frustum is ~200-220.

Quote:
dont think i try to blame or anger you, but i have seen many many of engines nobody used because they lacked at the core.

don't think I would get angry. I've seen many many people who quit their section, just because the first comment wasn't "omfg, I want this!!!!11one." or something like it. Engine is something you tweak and use for your stuff, not something you have to get working right. No. That is the job for the original developers of the engine.

Oh, wasnt excpecting this. i think you are going a serious way, looks professional. nowadays an engine has to keep the possibility to be dynamic, as much dynamic as possible. so i wish you the best, good luck and keep on rockin ;).

Script support??? Engine features exposed in something like LUA so to allow fast prototyping... Demo programs (LUA and native) demonstrating various features and typical uses (you might as well use them to test/bombproof your engine). People want to be able to use the engine immediately and prove that it does what they need. Working examples can accelerate that no matter how good your documentation is.

Quote:
Script support??? Engine features exposed in something like LUA so to allow fast prototyping... Demo programs (LUA and native) demonstrating various features and typical uses (you might as well use them to test/bombproof your engine). People want to be able to use the engine immediately and prove that it does what they need. Working examples can accelerate that no matter how good your documentation is.

We did think about this, but dumped LUA and custom scripting format for now.
We will, though create our own or setup LUA for the engine, when time that comes.

Quote:
Oh, wasnt excpecting this. i think you are going a serious way, looks professional. nowadays an engine has to keep the possibility to be dynamic, as much dynamic as possible. so i wish you the best, good luck and keep on rockin ;).

arigató, thank you, kiitos, danke, tack etc. It's good that there is people who like what we do, I appreciate that.

P.S. as a sidenote:

if you want an demo/example of the current process, please contact me directly on MSN: inestical AT luukku DOT com

I will not ensure that you will get demo immediatly, since I'm rather busy and not online 24/7 ;)

[Edited by - Inestical on January 31, 2007 5:54:50 AM]

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.