• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jace-

Shadows on a spherical world

This topic is 4339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I need ideas on ways to implement shadows in my strictly spherical world. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to fully optimize the Graphics engine (other than view frustum culling and limited hidden surface removal), so I need a shadowing technique that is relatively fast even if it doesn’t give very accurate results. I was thinking of using planar shadows, but I have a feeling that will get quite complicated because the entire world is on a sphere. Shadow volumes were another consideration, but I fear a substantial performance hit. What techniques have you all done in the past? -Jace

Advertisement
I can't see why the 1) standard shadow volume method wouldn't work, but if the world is really small (like Little Prince small) maybe 2) Doing shadow casting on an unwrapped world terrain and applying the castings to a wrapped version or 3)Consider polar coordinates for a custom shadow wrapping method

These are really rough ideas, but if you don't have time to refine the engine, you probably won't have time to implement any of these but the standard method anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!