• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kUfa

CreateDevice hangs

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm working on a multithreaded renderer on DX9. I've ensured that the window used by the device is created on the same thread that is calling CreateDevice to avoid the deadlocks mentioned in the SDK documentation. I have one very weird behaviour: the very first time (read the first one after a computer reboot) i launch my application on a multicore machine (running 2000/XP/Vista), the CreateDevice will hang if want a fullscreen presentation. If i want a windowed presentation, it's all fine. Everytime i'll restart the app it will work fine. Any idea why i could get this weird behaviour? Thanks in advance, /kufa

Advertisement
Nope, but even if i did shouldn't it work fine since the window was created on the same thread?

/kufa

I'm assuming that your app only creates a single device. Since the call to CreateDevice is hanging, it also means that your app doesn't have a valid IDirect3DDevice9 interface pointer yet, so I can't see how multithreading plays into this particular problem, *unless* you're calling through an uninitialized interface pointer in another thread and that is causing the hang. Just as a test, you could try blocking the other threads until CreateDevice has returned and see if that succeeds.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!