Quick and easy newb question: backgrounds with .x

Started by
1 comment, last by 51mon 17 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys. I was playing around with this tutorial: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2079.asp I was wondering how to render a background behind the .x model. I can't seem to get them to both display at the same time. If I just render the background, when I press the rotate buttons the background disappears too. Here is pseudocode of my rendering process: - begin the scene - clear everything - render the background texture - update the time and counters (for the .x model) - update the model - move the model* - draw the model** All that does is give me a black screen. *Here is the the model moving function I'm using (taken from the tutorial):

void CModel::Move()
{
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matWorld);
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matYWorld);
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matXWorld);
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matZWorld);
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matTranslate);
	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matUp);

//This makes the model rotate Y
  	D3DXMatrixRotationY( &matYWorld, D3DXToRadian(fAngle1));
	//This makes the model rotate X
  	D3DXMatrixRotationX( &matXWorld, D3DXToRadian(fAngle2));
	//This makes the model rotate Z
	D3DXMatrixRotationZ( &matZWorld, D3DXToRadian(fAngle3));

//This moves the stuff around
	D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTranslate, fLeft, fUp, fForward);

matWorld = (matYWorld * matXWorld * matZWorld * matTranslate);
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld);

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH( &matView, &vEyePt, &vLookatPt, &vUpVec );
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_VIEW,	&matView );
}

I find that if I comment out the last line (setTransform on the matView) and don't call the draw function, I can get the background to render but it disappears if I press the rotate key. **Here is the model drawing function I'm using (also from tutorial):

void CModel::Draw()
{

LPMESHCONTAINER pMesh = m_pFirstMesh;

//While there is a mesh try to draw it
	while(pMesh)
	{
		//Select the mesh to draw
		LPD3DXMESH pDrawMesh = (pMesh->pSkinInfo)
			? pMesh->pSkinMesh: pMesh->MeshData.pMesh;

//Draw each mesh subset with correct materials and texture
		for (DWORD i = 0; i < pMesh->NumMaterials; ++i)
		{
			m_pd3dDevice->SetMaterial(&pMesh->pMaterials9);
			m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(0, pMesh->ppTextures);
			pDrawMesh->DrawSubset(i);
		}
		//Go to the next one
		pMesh = (LPMESHCONTAINER)pMesh->pNextMeshContainer;
	}
}

The code to drawing the background is in a big helper class thing from a library I'm using (hge). I didn't write this and I don't understand most of it, but it works (I think there's other related functions, like the one that makes the quad, but I don't think they are relevant):

void CALL HGE_Impl::Gfx_RenderQuad(const hgeQuad *quad)
{
	if(CurPrimType!=HGEPRIM_QUADS || nPrim>=VERTEX_BUFFER_SIZE/HGEPRIM_QUADS || CurTexture!=quad->tex || CurBlendMode!=quad->blend)
	{
		_render_batch();

CurPrimType=HGEPRIM_QUADS;
		if(CurBlendMode != quad->blend) _SetBlendMode(quad->blend);
		if(quad->tex != CurTexture) {
			pD3DDevice->SetTexture( 0, (LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9)quad->tex );
			CurTexture = quad->tex;
		}
	}

memcpy(&VertArray[nPrim*HGEPRIM_QUADS], quad->v, sizeof(hgeVertex)*HGEPRIM_QUADS);
	nPrim++;
}

So... I think my process is wrong. Am I supposed to be rendering it in this order, or am I doing something completely wrong? Thanks for your help. [Edited by - Swarmer on January 30, 2007 3:49:34 PM]
Advertisement
There used to be a reply here; where'd it go? Did someone delete it?
If I was about to render a background behind a mesh, I would do something like this.

• Turn off ZWriteEnable to be safe, pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZWRITEENABLE, FALSE);
• Clear the backbuffer
• Render the background with screen aligned quads, ID3DXSprite or IDirect3DDevice9::StretchRect
• Turn on ZWriteEnable again
• Trun on AlphaBlendEnable, pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, FALSE);
• Set DestBlend to 0, pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ ZERO);
• Set SrcBlend to 1, pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE);
• Render the mesh.

If you are using the effect framework / .fx you could set the states directly on the graphic card instead of through the application.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement