• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rolken

Looking for the right tools

This topic is 4332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For a year or so I've been vaguely contemplating the notion of doing a game, but each time I look into it the obstacles to just getting started end up turning me off. So here I am. I have experience with general application and web programming, but the only game-related stuff I've done is some assembly calculator amusement during high school. My objective is to make a 2D platformer-style game. Artistry isn't my strong point, so I'm shooting for a LocoRoco-like cartoony style. My problem is that I have no idea how to achieve that. I assume there's some approach that beats starting from scratch with OpenGL and making up my own data formats and coding my own editors, but after many hours of searching I feel I am no closer to finding it. The vast majority of tools seem geared towards either 3D production or sprite-based 2D, with little in the way of non-sprite 2D production, though perhaps I am wrong in writing off 3D so quickly. I've looked into things like Amanith and ImageMagick, but everything I try seems either ill-equipped or oddly slow and universally difficult to just get to compile. I thought SVG might make a good data format, but I fail to find decent tools to surround it with. Any kind of direction would be appreciated. I intended to use C++, but whatever does the job best is fine by me. I just want to get past spinning my wheels hoping for traction.

Advertisement
For good vector game development, Flash probably the way to go. It has a good development interface, and it's also backed up by open source compilers and tools.

The thing that bothers me about Flash is that anecdotally SNES-Genesis level graphics regularly get 20-30fps on my 2005 laptop in a tiny browser window, so I imagine running at fullscreen would grind up a CPU. It's worrying that Bob's Retro Flash Adventure is outperformed by the likes of Morrowind. I'll give it a shot though; I hadn't even heard of any open-source tools.

i would say start off with C# and XNA. C# in itself is a really easy and robust language with the help of .NET 2.0. Then with XNA you open up a template and you already have a window showing. I am currently learning C# with XNA and it going pretty well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!