• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
weegizzy

Game Engine Coding

This topic is 4147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could anyone recommend a book which focuses on building a 3d game engine using OpenGL for graphics? I'm not sure if there are any, as I can't seem to find one. If not, I would still be willing to accept suggestions of other books which focus on engine programming in general, or for another library (such as DirectX / D3D), as long as the ideas are good enough to be able implement in OpenGL. Thanks.

Advertisement
Not a book, but... Enginuity!
Quote:
It's going to be written in C++, and we're not going to work from scratch - we'll use SDL for graphics (and, thus, OpenGL), input, and timers; SDLNet for networking; and FMOD for sound (so if you want to see someone initialize DirectX/OpenGL for the nth time, go somewhere else - there's nothing achieved by reinventing the wheel). That should pretty much fulfill the cross-platform, networked, and minimum technical requirements parts of the spec; the rest is down to us.

-jouley

Enginuity is a pretty bad series of articles (by the author's own admission). I don't recommend taking a lot of the ideas there.

Game Coding Complete, while obviously DirectX-based, makes a lot of concessions to API independence so you should find it trivial to port to OpenGL as necessary. It's not a complete engine by any means, but it gives you the tools so that you can approach the problem a different way.

My general advice is not to build an engine; it is a waste of time if you want to make a game. Pick up an existing popular engine like OGRE or Irrlicht and start building a game rather than fiddling about with engine code.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Enginuity is a pretty bad series of articles (by the author's own admission). I don't recommend taking a lot of the ideas there.

Whoops. I stumbled upon it the other day and it looked promising. Speaking of promises, I promise to read through something before I recommend it next time.

Was there a discussion about why it was so bad I could peruse?

-jouley

I agree that if all you want to do is make a game then you should use an open source engine. The one thing you need to realize about Ogre and Irrlicht though is that they are 3D engines. They are not game engines. They are meant to be used for displaying graphics and that's it.

Many people use them for simple games, but they will not provide you with anything else you need for a game such as AI, object or memory management (outside of their built in scene graphs), networking, sound, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to just make a game, I'd also like to make the engine (mainly just the graphics engine at the moment), building it from the ground up. It's not going to be too complex, just something whith which I can put my OpenGL to use, as I am currently learning it.

Cheers

In that case, definitely check out Ogre and Irrlicht. They implement things in OpenGL as well as DirectX and have decent documentation.

They're free and open source, so it'll save you money on a book. They will at least give you some ideas about how a 3D engine is designed and implemented.

I'm just going to throw this one out because it's what I'm currently having to use for my game technology class. G3D is a low-to-mid level game engine that provides support for various things. I don't have too much experience with it (since I've only been in the course for two weeks), but so far I have mixed feelings about it. The library seems well structured; however, the docs kinda suck unless you know some OpenGL (which is what the graphics portion of G3D is built on top of). Nevertheless, I found that a combination of the Red Book and Nehe's tutorials, along with cross-referencing the G3D API docs has allowed me to fill in blanks and figure out how things work in the library.

If you're dead set on programming a game engine, these are a couple of books that I've found useful:

Ultimate 3D Game Engine Design & Architecture
Game Coding Complete
3D Game Engine Architecture

Game Coding Complete is great book if any book deserves to be in anyones library this one does. but to the question at hand i find irrlicht code clean. If you can read code pretty good try irrlicht, since its small and simple else get Game coding complete and 3d game engine programming

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!