• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
amokz0r

C++ Question

This topic is 4256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All, I am looking for a site or some resource which explains more than just how to program in C++, its mechanics etc (pointers, classes, loops etc etc...) i know how to program in C++ and im pretty confident atleast that was until I encountered some questions in an exam sitting for a job such as the 3 letter abbreviation for memory table for C++ and what it stands for? The inner workings of the compilers etc (i mean i know that the compiler has a pre-processor, compile, assembler and link stage) but there was some weird questions i cant remember off the top of my head with the compiler. I do have a degree in Computer Science as a Software Engineer but i guess i wasnt listening properly when we were being taught about some stuff. Its simply started to hit me that there is more to know about C/C++ then just how to code in it. If someone can please point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advanced!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by amokz0r
Hey All,

I am looking for a site or some resource which explains more than just how to program in C++, its mechanics etc (pointers, classes, loops etc etc...) i know how to program in C++ and im pretty confident atleast that was until I encountered some questions in an exam sitting for a job such as the 3 letter abbreviation for memory table for C++ and what it stands for?

The inner workings of the compilers etc (i mean i know that the compiler has a pre-processor, compile, assembler and link stage) but there was some weird questions i cant remember off the top of my head with the compiler. I do have a degree in Computer Science as a Software Engineer but i guess i wasnt listening properly when we were being taught about some stuff.

Its simply started to hit me that there is more to know about C/C++ then just how to code in it. If someone can please point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advanced!

I've never heard fo a 3 letter abbreviatiom for a memory table in C++, (POD is the only TLA I know) and I've interviewed people before. Keep your head up there's lots of cowboy companies out there.

Quote:
Original post by amokz0r
3 letter abbreviation for memory table for C++ and what it stands for?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is LUT. And if that's the answer, it was a very poor question.

To answer your actual question, I'd suggest searching these forums for stuff on 'modern' C++ for the current thinking on good style (note: many companies have their own idea of good style, which may or may not have anything to do with reality), and reading the C++ FAQ lite for some good advice on stuff that's hard to pin down without experience. GotW may interest you too.

Quote:
Original post by Paradigm Shifter
(POD is the only TLA I know)

There's some irony in here somewhere... wait... waaaaait.... Nope. Lost it. [headshake]

The 3 letter abbreviation was a memory look up tables im guessing for functions particularly i agree its a silly question however it may have been relevant to game development, i was applying for a game dev position when taking this exam.

Has anyone had to take exams for game dev positions and if so what sort of questions were you asked?

Like i said im pretty confident in C++ development and ive already written my own pretty decent 2D game using DirectX which is an RPG, its just if there is more i can learn about C++ the language and its compiler in general i would love to know it

Thanks

We (undernet #C++) have this list of recommended C++ books:

http://rudbek.com/books.html

If you work your way down that list, they can form you into a pretty competent C++ programmer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!