Best DirectX Based Game Engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Sc4Freak 17 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I want to know which is the best directX based game engine in the market.Also let me know the game engine which includes water rendering, lighting ,environmental factors,sky and clouds. thanks and regards.
Advertisement
I've heard this one and this one are alright. You got a few hundred thousand dollars spare?

Seriously though...

Your question is too vague to get you answers. "best" is a bit subjective - different applications require different engines, different markets require different technology etc...

There are lots of choices if you want to pay for them (whats your budget) but there are fewer if you want it for free. Some high-end engines will allow "hobby" licences if you're just doing this for fun and not planning on making anything commercial out of it...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

You also might want to look into the Source engine. It doesn't provide anything revolutionary, but it does have the odd ability to perform excellently whilst looking decent even on old hardware.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Hi Jolly Jeffers

Thanks for help.I am aware of the unreal engine.Can u tell me where to download Unreal Engine to see some of its sample.There is no download link on the site.

thanks and regards.
Quote:Original post by DirectXGuru
Hi Jolly Jeffers

Thanks for help.I am aware of the unreal engine.Can u tell me where to download Unreal Engine to see some of its sample.There is no download link on the site.

thanks and regards.

Quote:For more Unreal Engine 3 licensing news, including announcements of support for Sony’s Playstation 3 and Microsoft’s Xbox 360, visit www.epicgames.com.

The samples are the games that have been made using the engine.
I agree with Jack,
It's a very odd question as there is no "Best" engine. It's all about what you want to accomplish.

I would say that the best is to dig around and find some open source engines and see what you like and don't like and if you so decide, create your own from the experiences of the engines that you looked through.

Enjoy,

Kind Regards
Pieter
Quote:Original post by DirectXGuru
Hi Jolly Jeffers

thanks and regards.

Unreal Engine 3 is a professional commercial game engine. I'm not sure how much exactly it'd cost, but it'll be at least several hundred thousand dollars to license it. You're definately not going to be able to just download it from somewhere.

If a free/cheap game engine for indie/hobbyist game development is what you're looking for, you might want to look into engines such as Torque. There are others, I'm sure others can provide more information.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement