• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lazy

What lib to use?

This topic is 4158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm thinking about making a multiplayer game, but I'm not sure which lib to use... I guess I'll be using peer-peer, and allow 4 players. Many years ago I used DirectPlay, but I think it has been removed from the DXSDK. Which libs do you guys recommend? thanks /lazy

Advertisement
RakNet is probably what you want, since DirectPlay is not worth the effort anymore.

RakNet

But in the forum faq of MultiPlayer and Network programming there is a list mentioned (You're probably better of with a high-level library). Just to give you some choice!

Q8) What are some other networking libraries that often get mentioned in the forum?
A8) Low-level "sockets portability" libraries include:
Enet
HawkNL
PLib/Medusa
SDL_net

High-level "we give you structure" libraries include:
ClanLib
DemonWare
Net-Z/Eterna
Nevrax/NEL
OpenPlay
OpenSkies
OpenTNL
RakNet
ReplicaNet
ZoidCom

I'm also a RakNet fan, but instead of evaluating each library for how good it is at what it does, your real question is what do you want it to provide for you? Do you want it to handle sending reliable UDP packets? ENet will give you that. Do you want that and also encryption and maybe some rudimentary object support? RakNet will give you that. Do you want that and also very complete handling of game objects? OpenTNL will give you that.

Maybe you just want to send packets in a very multiplatform way. SDL's good for that. It's all about what you want it to do for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!