Another ? that has been asked before

Started by
3 comments, last by parawizard 17 years, 2 months ago
I know this question has been asked before, but after working with C++ and trying to learn how to make a video game but I seemed to have hit a snag. It ha I really don't know which direction to start at. I want to learn how to make a video game from scratch, maybe like tic-tac-toe or an text based RPG (if I feel daring) Nothing too major (like Quake or Final Fantasy) Though I really do not know how a video game works I have read a few of the articles, but found more questions than answers From my knowledge you need programmers for Menus and the AI for the video game. Animators for the graphics and animations Story writers for creating the story and how the feel of the game will be. This is probably the tip of the iceburg, but I think there is a lot more that I do not know. I know I want to do something with creating story ideas and the overall design of making a video game. Of course I would like to know a few tips of the trade for animation and programming. I like to program on my spare time(know the basics (Classes, looping, variables, I/O), but one thing that I am having trouble doing is finding the right graphics program for animation and such. I think I am trying to bit on more than I can chew here, but this has made me so frustrated. <Sorry if it seems like I am demading for information.> If any have any ideas/tips/insults/helpful tips on how to make a video game. I would appreciate it. Links to sites would be helpful I am always willing to learn. Thanks you guys
I've thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you DESPAIR!
Advertisement
Well learning a graphics medium is one thing and programming a game is another! You can program lots and lots of games just in consoles windows. Like windows console programs. The graphics are not pretty because its just text but hey the same game concepts apply lots of the time. If you want to program some games then hit up the console ideas for awhile. As your doing this you can set out some time to pick probally a 2d graphics medium and start learning how to use it before you try to jump into it to make a game.

I have finished a console tic tac toe game with a randomized AI. Decided to move on for a bit and tackle a tetris console game! Been writing plans for it and ideas for solutions to small sets of things I need to make in order to have a working tetris game.

If your feeling overwhelmed just tackle one thing at a time. Learn your tools first then write the game. You know C++ basics so Im sure you could figure out some small console games. Good luck have fun :)
Hmm.. yeah I understand though what programs would you use to do this? Visual C++?

I also have another question. What would be a good free(perferably) program for making animation? Just from personal experience.

Thanks
I've thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you DESPAIR!
i always says visit this engine:

http://hge.relishgames.com/

its really simple to use for basic graphics and input and such. You can work through the tutorials to understand the basics.

Do you mean how to make a game on a planning level? Write down what you wanna put into the game, what the player should be able to do etc. Like:

TETRIS
1. blocks move every "update"
2. The player can move and rotate blocks
3. When a full line =remove it, get points
4. When filled up to the brim = game over

How to actually make everything? Its a question of programming. I dont have any wonder sullution here... Ask for source code for (very small) games and look at it.

Problem is that most small games are made by beginners and are made in a crappy fashion so you might learn the wrong way. And any big game will just make you frustrated...

Good luck
Erik
Quote:Original post by Cloud Strife
Hmm.. yeah I understand though what programs would you use to do this? Visual C++?

I also have another question. What would be a good free(perferably) program for making animation? Just from personal experience.

Thanks

Well I use Visual C++ Express though really your IDE is language and platform specific.

As for animation programs I think Blender is one of the best programs out there and it is free. Note I have only used blender a bit and my opinon is based on material that I have read. If you want to work with blender I insist you must look at and do all the tutorials. It is a very complex program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement