• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Willybood

2D RPG... Where to start

This topic is 4339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey forum peoples. Im interested in creating a semi professional RPG for my CV. Im a good way through the design document, I know some people who would be able to get on board with music, design etc, and thanks to an almost finished computer science degree, I think I have the know how (with a little practice). Problem is, I don't know where to start. I was going to make it from scratch with XNA, but thanks to an old graphics card I cant get a program to compile. Im also considering flash and the irrlicht engine, what do you all suggest for a 2D engine? I found the blender program looking around, if I switch to 3d, is that recommended? Thanks Billy

Advertisement
I would use OpenGL as its easy to get up and running with SDL for X-platform, or if you only plan on windows then win32 is easy to setup also. Reason I say GL is with XP you can get DX10 features in XP with OpenGL. So if you down the road want to move to 3D you will have a larger user base with XP and Vista with a OpenGL engine. And yes GL does 2D just fine. In fact its very easy to have a top down 2D engine running in like a 2hrs max. Just use gluOrtho2D() to setup your window. And GL will run on old cards also depending on what features you want to support and how far back you want to support for videocards. HTH

Ive had a little experience with openGL, im sorry if this is a bit of an open question, but how hard would it be to create a 2d game in it?
Thanks

Quote:
Original post by Willybood
Ive had a little experience with openGL, im sorry if this is a bit of an open question, but how hard would it be to create a 2d game in it?
Thanks

using immediate mode its quite easy.

there are some decent tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net

Well IF you still want to make it 2D you can also take a loot at SDL.If you are going to use C++ , then it is the right tool for the job , and is very simple to learn , it has lots of good tutorials.

Quote:
Original post by TheyDontCallMeMatt
Well, what would be the disadvantages of using Direct X?
Mostly: It's not portable to other computer systems, such as Linux or OS X.

Thanks, Im still not sure what code to use, but I like the idea of using SDL. Chances are Ill just end up doing it in flash though.
Thanks again

Ive been looking at some info for SDL, and it looks pretty tempting, but aside from cross platform compatability, does it offer any advantages over DirectX? is it any simpler to use?

Thanks again

Quote:
Original post by Willybood
Thanks, Im still not sure what code to use, but I like the idea of using SDL. Chances are Ill just end up doing it in flash though.
Thanks again

What sort of jobs are you hoping to get? If you're looking for game development jobs, then doing it in Flash is not the best idea.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!