Business model question - advice appreciated

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 17 years, 2 months ago
Hello all: I would like any opinions and thoughts on the following business model. Also, have you seen this sort of model used for other games? I have been developing a single-player, 2D strategy game along the lines of Civ/Colonization pre-3D. It is highly customizable, and includes an embedded scripting language with full access to UI and gaming objects. I've taken a brief look at the information provided here about selling your game through a third party or third party program (e.g. GarageGames). Those models all seem to be the 'one-off' sell a single game, which is not really the model I'm looking for. I'd like to build a business model with the following features: 1) 'Core' downloadable single game in the $5-$15 range. 2) User-developed expansions/mods in the $5-$10 range. 3) Developer licenses in the $100-$1000 range. Difference in price range could include more tools/features, and optional additional maintenance/support fees. 4) Allow upload of developer mods (from #2, above), with something like 50% of royalties going to developer. 5) Possibly other licenses (e.g. free games in exchange for other services/contributions). Please shoot as many holes as you'd like. Any input would be deeply appreciated!
Advertisement
Uh, no opinions or comments? I'm not necessarily just looking for reviews of just the model. How about as an end user? Would you participate in something like this, assuming the games match your interest? How about as a developer? Is a 'pay-for-mod' sort of model appealing, even if it resulted in a modest return on (time) investment?

Thanks again in advance for any thoughts...
Read the articles on the board. They answer your question many times over. These articles are written by successful people who have many varied real world experiences in successful companies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement