[java] Java 6 made my old 1.4 code sluggish!

Started by
1 comment, last by Son of Cain 17 years, 2 months ago
When I took my old Jav 1.4 source code, compiled+ran in Java 6 I solved old annoying issues like the infamous "Gray rect" bug. Also, the main menu and its sub menus had the same speed, BUT as soon as I jumped into the war screen and started painting frames on my map it went WAY slower than in 1.4 There was also delay on my mouse clicks events. It was so sluggish I cannot use it. I am using full screen API, passive rendering. Are there any things I should be checking and tweaking when jumping to Java 6, like SwingWorker and stuff? Are there any "Must haves" ? By the way, I paint my graphic on a JPanel (map, units, Fow, icons and stuff).
Advertisement
Just to be safe, also update all relevent drivers(video, sound...).
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Profile the code, and you shall have the bootleneck. With that, it's easy to find out if it is indeed the version's fault. Post back when you find out about that, and the smart people here will be able to point out the reason why.
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement