Dream Build Play [Warn-Up Announced]

Started by
20 comments, last by ViLiO 17 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by double O seven
It says to run this software I have to have Visual C# installed. It says I can download it free from microsoft, but I tried all this before with Visual Studio 2005 and it told me I can download the software, but I can't use it until I pay for a legal registration key.
Is it the same way with this?

Download of Visual C# Express is free, then register for free from within program.

On another note, it doesn't look like xna can't be used with windows 2000: even after I forced it to install :(
Advertisement
To use XNA Game Studio Express you need to have Visual C# Express 2005 installed as Game Studio Express is just an addon for Visual C# Express 2005.

Both are Visual C# Express 2005 and Game Studio Express are free and can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Visual C# Express 2005

Game Studio Express 2005

You can use XNA without Visual C# Express 2005, but you won't get the full feature set that GSE provides (such as Xbox 360 deployment)

The only requirement for XNA that is above the base requirements for Visual C# Express 2005 is that your graphics card supports Pixel Shader 1.1. In theory you could code away but you wouldn't be able to run what you make without PS 1.1 [smile]

So if you have a graphics card capable of shaders and WinXP with Sp2 (or Win2k with Sp4 or Windows Server 2003 with Sp1 or Vista) ...you should be good to go.

Naturally, most (if not all) of the above downloads require the Microsoft Genuine Advantage checks to pass. So if you've pirated Windows, Microsoft don't want to give you any freebies cause you've already got your (un)fair share [lol]

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
To use XNA Game Studio Express you need to have Visual C# Express 2005 installed as Game Studio Express is just an addon for Visual C# Express 2005.

Both are Visual C# Express 2005 and Game Studio Express are free and can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Visual C# Express 2005

Game Studio Express 2005

You can use XNA without Visual C# Express 2005, but you won't get the full feature set that GSE provides (such as Xbox 360 deployment)

The only requirement for XNA that is above the base requirements for Visual C# Express 2005 is that your graphics card supports Pixel Shader 1.1. In theory you could code away but you wouldn't be able to run what you make without PS 1.1 [smile]

So if you have a graphics card capable of shaders and WinXP with Sp2 (or Win2k with Sp4 or Windows Server 2003 with Sp1 or Vista) ...you should be good to go.

Naturally, most (if not all) of the above downloads require the Microsoft Genuine Advantage checks to pass. So if you've pirated Windows, Microsoft don't want to give you any freebies cause you've already got your (un)fair share [lol]

All the best,
ViLiO

So you can ultimately format your XNA games to run on a 360 right? But could you make a 360 title with Game Studio Express that could have potential market value? Just wondering.
Quote:Original post by double O seven
So you can ultimately format your XNA games to run on a 360 right? But could you make a 360 title with Game Studio Express that could have potential market value? Just wondering.

By having the creator's club subscription, you can write games that run on the xbox 360. The current licensing terms for XNA Game Studio Express are such that you can write commercial games and sell them for the windows platform. But xbox 360 games are strictly non-commercial at the moment.

They are working on a community/sharing component ... while there are no concrete details out in the public, I think they've hinted at enabling commercial opportunities for indies.

Does that mean you cannot consider XNA at all right now if you have commercial aspirations for the xbox260? sort of ... once XNA Game Studio Professional ships (which has been suggested to be in Spring '07), you will be able to use that to develop a full fledged xbox game ... assuming you are a registered XBox developer.

there's nothing stopping you from creating a game and getting it up and running on the xbox360, then courting a publisher with a working product which already runs on the target platform.
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
Contest info was due for release "the week of February 5th."

Sounds like this whole thing will be a very realistic game development experience - we've already slipped a deadline!

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ

Sounds like this whole thing will be a very realistic game development experience - we've already slipped a deadline!

[lol]

Doh! [slap forehead]

I assure you, this issue has not gone unnoticed within the hallowed halls of Microsoft.

Y'know...I just realized...these halls here don't look really "hallowed", so to speak. I mean, the lighting is decent, and it's carpeted. But "hallowed"? Is it possible to have "unhallowed halls"? Perhaps they're just normal halls, running a Direct3D10 "hallowed" shader effect?

David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
I too have been eagerly refreshing that page.

Can't wait for an update!! The potential for awesomeness to come of this is HUGE Jerry.

-Ben
--Ben Finkel
Quote:Original post by LetsKillDave

Doh! [slap forehead]

I assure you, this issue has not gone unnoticed within the hallowed halls of Microsoft.

I hope so! I'm waiting for the details, in order to feature that on our front page. Not to mention that I'm willing to participate to the contest, and having more information doesn't hurt [smile].

Quote:Original post by LetsKillDave
Y'know...I just realized...these halls here don't look really "hallowed", so to speak. I mean, the lighting is decent, and it's carpeted. But "hallowed"? Is it possible to have "unhallowed halls"? Perhaps they're just normal halls, running a Direct3D10 "hallowed" shader effect?

Was the shader developped by Bungie? I want to be sure that it's the proper "hallowed" effect... [grin]
Warm-up Challenge

The site has changed with details of a warm-up challenge that is going to be held before the "main event".

I personally won't be entering this one and will be concentrating on that main event, but 500 bucks for the top5 entries is pretty tempting [wow]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement